Right sided mount?

GoldenMotor.com

Jeremy

Mar 19, 2012
Garden City, Kansas
Is there a way to mount an engine so that it propels from the right hand side of the bicycle? So that you do not have to use a jackshaft? If there are already threads with my questions answered please refer me to those threads. Thanks!

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I hate to be that first guy who replies to your and can't tell you for certain... But the saying seems to go "If you could/it was better, the elite forum racers would have already done it." Plus you would lose the pedals and basically have a motorcycle.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't think you're considering crankshaft rotation. By mounting the engine backwards in the frame you'd be driving the rear wheel backwards. It can be done but you'd need another jackshaft to change the rotation which defeats your purpose.

May I ask why you'd want to do this? I assume you want to use your existing gears without resorting to a shift kit and the inherent cost and complexity. One of the biggest hurdles you'd have to overcome is the design of the chain drive and sprocket location.
We're also assuming you're talking about a Chinese 2 stroke engine. If you're looking at a four stroke, you'll be faced with basically the same obstacles.

Tom

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Yes. Mostly because the clutch case is in the way. Save up for a jackshaft. People knock the jackshaft because they think it's pseudo-motorcycle stuff, but it really works. **** I'd buy one if I could afford it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How much does the shift kit improve speed?
It doesn't. It simply gives you a way to achieve your top speed a little quicker and to select a lower gear if you need to to climb or carry more weight.
You engine can only pull the bike so fast. The ability to change gears doesn't increase the power output of the engine.

Tom