Are CDI's universal?

GoldenMotor.com

Tekky

Apr 3, 2012
Maine
Are CDIs generally pretty universal? I don't know what kind of engine i have because someone off the street gave me the bike (it ran for a few days, trying to replace common problems to get it up and running)
I also read that you can buy them in like lawnmower repair shops, is that also true?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you could post a picture of your engine we might be able to help. If you don't know what it is you can't expect us to.

If you have a Chinese 2 stroke engine, mounted in the frame, the CDIs for them are all the same. But, if you have a 4 stroke engine or some other 2 stroke such as a weed wacker/snow blower, lawnmower engine, without knowing what it is we can't answer your question due to the many brands and types available.
Please post a clear photo of your engine and we'll be able to give you a more concise answer.
Tom

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Are CDIs generally pretty universal? I don't know what kind of engine i have because someone off the street gave me the bike (it ran for a few days, trying to replace common problems to get it up and running)
I also read that you can buy them in like lawnmower repair shops, is that also true?
I doubt they are, as far as the Chinese (49 & 66cc) HT's yes.

Tekky

Apr 3, 2012
Maine
It is deff. a 2 stroke engine, and it looks pretty much like every other bike kit motor out there (except the spark plug comes off the head at a 90 degree angle).

If pictures are still needed I can go get some asap.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
For that engine (a HT) weather it be a 49cc or a 66cc, they are all the same, including the coil, and magnet.. Online FleaBay. I doubt you will find one locally, unless there is a vender close by. If not I wouldn't waste the time and fuel looking for one.
I'd buy from here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-cc-bicyc...107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f15c416eb
Because I don't deal with these people.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-Ignitio...981?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4161b7972d
Difference of $0.42

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No. Don't waste your time/money. You need a CDI made for the Chinese 2 stroke engine.

Order one from one of the many vendors either seen here as advertisers or from another, ebay source.

Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, check your head gasket....looks a little greezy, and the head has been off as the head is turned 90 degrees from where it should be.

Tekky

Apr 3, 2012
Maine
It appears that your engine mounts are not flush on the tubes.
Thanks for all the pointers guys, I'll get those fixed. I was most curious about what you mean by "not flush on the tubes". I'm just not sure how I go about fixing that.

I'm currently planning on buying new studs all across the engine, new gaskets, clean the carb, install a boost bottle.

Bike was given to me by someone outside my job, gave it to me for free. somewhat ran for the first week, running for a minute before it stopped combusting under high throttle. Won't run at all now, but on Monday I'm having the magneto and the compression tested (working at an auto shop is nice). already replaced the boot and the spark plug.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Thanks for all the pointers guys, I'll get those fixed. I was most curious about what you mean by "not flush on the tubes". I'm just not sure how I go about fixing that.

Flush?? That is when the mounts have a gap between the mount and tubes.
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Engine Mounting/

I'm currently planning on buying new studs all across the engine, new gaskets, clean the carb, install a boost bottle.

Bike was given to me by someone outside my job, gave it to me for free. somewhat ran for the first week, running for a minute before it stopped combusting under high throttle. Won't run at all now, but on Monday I'm having the magneto and the compression tested (working at an auto shop is nice). already replaced the boot and the spark plug.
Testing the coil and CDI... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit