What's the difference between these kits?(one's cheaper)

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Through one of this site's sponsors, I found this kit which looks good for a beginner like myself.

BikeBerry.com

I was pretty set on purchasing this kit, but then the next day I stumbled upon this one from the same dealer.

Standard Silver 66/80cc Bicycle Engine Kit BikeBerry.com

It's cheaper, yet it seems virtually identical to the first kit. The only difference I can see is that the first kit has the name "Mega Motors", whereas the cheaper kit lacks that name.

Would I be making a mistake in going with the cheaper kit(or either one for that matter)?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
If you are in California BikeBerry.com isn't going to ship to you
Read down at the bottom of the page
BikeBerry.com said:
Due to Regulations no California Residence Buyers. California Residence Please Check California Air Resource Board
Through one of this site's sponsors, I found this kit which looks good for a beginner like myself.

BikeBerry.com

I was pretty set on purchasing this kit, but then the next day I stumbled upon this one from the same dealer.

Standard Silver 66/80cc Bicycle Engine Kit BikeBerry.com

It's cheaper, yet it seems virtually identical to the first kit. The only difference I can see is that the first kit has the name "Mega Motors", whereas the cheaper kit lacks that name.

Would I be making a mistake in going with the cheaper kit(or either one for that matter)?

Last edited:

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
If you are in California BikeBerry.com isn't going to ship to you
Read down at the bottom of the page
That's what they say, except when I go through the checkout it gives me the option of will call pickup at one of their warehouses, which just happens to be a 30 minute drive from my house(it says it's in El Monte). I'm willing to try to see if they'll sell it to me anyway because they offer that option.

EDIT: It seems pretty confirmed that they'll sell it to me if I pick it up.

http://www.bikeberry.com/faq.php said:
Do you offer local pick up?
Yes! If you are in the Southern California area, we welcome pick ups at our warehouses in El Monte and the City of Industry. After adding the desired bicycle to your online shopping cart, simply proceed to checkout and choose the Will-Call option under shipping options. Within 24 hours of your purchase a will-call slip will be emailed to you with directions to our warehouse.

Last edited:

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i find it funny they rate the things for 5-6 horsepower a much higher quality grubee kit only gets 2.75HP, anyways the only real way to spot the differences aside from price would be to get both n take em apart, its been discussed here before that while most kits look the same, some are certainly better then others.

but since bikeberry offers 6 month warranties on both i don't really any obvious advantage over spending the extra $20

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
i find it funny they rate the things for 5-6 horsepower a much higher quality grubee kit only gets 2.75HP, anyways the only real way to spot the differences aside from price would be to get both n take em apart, its been discussed here before that while most kits look the same, some are certainly better then others.

but since bikeberry offers 6 month warranties on both i don't really any obvious advantage over spending the extra $20
Bikeberry lists all their engines as 5-6 hp including the Grubee. Funnily enough it is costing them sales. They may think that blown up hp claims will entice buyers but it has the opposite effect for 2 reasons.

1) Those who know better would not buy from a vendor who blatantly lies to make a sale.

2) Many states have a HP restriction and people will not buy a 5-6hp motor if only a 2hp motor is legal but they might push the envelope by going with a tad under 3

Bikeberry is shooting themselves in their own foot. Another joke is the banner above these threads for the engine guide they offer. I was told the Starfire does NOT have a steel cylinder sleeve but............just read the guide you will see.

Last edited:

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
going by the pictures, the mega motors kit is made by nantong, just as the grubee starfire gt4s were. if that is the case, they are superior engines.

edit: they both appear to be nantong engines?