making lights

GoldenMotor.com

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
On the way home from a 15 mile ride I realized that it's not legal yet. Still need a mirror. I didn't even think about it until I was heading home and thought about what packages I had not yet received from Amazon. Oh yeah... mirrors.

Anyways, she's looking good. I'm going to start a new thread with a poll to decide what paint scheme it should be.

Pictures in just a minute

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
So I got one of those cheap ebay Chinese light kits, but all I used was the switch. The switch actually works really well.

I couldn't use the shaker top as the rear light. Figuring out the logistics of mounting a light inside it is pretty difficult, so I gave that idea a rest. I may still revisit that one another day. For now, I'm using 2 trailer marker lights, which are plenty bright. The headlight is really bright as well. It lights up the road so well at night, and as i ride past people oncoming, i see them shielding their eyes. It projects from about 2 ft in front of me and throws a serious beam way out. Just what i wanted.

The battery is an 8.4Ah 6volt from batteries plus. Cost about $25. I've had it on almost all day and it's not showing signs of dying any time soon. It may be a bit overkill, but I'm scared of being stranded somewhere without lights. At a 3.3mA draw with the headlight, tail light, and brake, it will take a long, long time to kill that battery. In the world of batteries, the capacity curve is almost asymptotic. So think: An 8.4A draw will last 1 hour. But a 4.2A draw may last 2.5 hours. I had a battery rated at about 9000Ah that would last 3 hours at a load of about 3000A. At 125A, it lasted for a loooong looong time, and discharged over 14,000 A!

Yes, I'll say it again. Overkill.

Of course it would rain, but it happened as soon as i got back from my 15 mile ride. It's such a pleasure to ride.

My next step is to pretty everything up and install acorns where I can, and I'm also going to redo the battery mount. I'm thinking a round brown vinyl bag with a zipper for access, maybe some white vinyl piping to match the seat. Sort of a cylindrical bag so it will match the theme of the bike and cover the battery.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Agreen,

I searched but can't find my old thread regarding SLA batteries and mounting them.
I've always used SLAs and on my first bike I was having premature battery failures. There is a battery manufacturer/distributor here in Denver and I spoke to one of their engineers about my problem. He told me that mounting an SLA on its side and subjecting them to shock or vibration can loosen the plates and allow them to touch, shorting the battery internally.

He explained that the plates are set into grooves in the top and bottom of the case. If mounted vertically shock and vibration usually doesn't hurt but with the battery laying on its side you stand a chance of having battery problems. Your plan to carry the battery in a bag will probably take care of the potential problem.

I remounted my battery so it sat vertically and have never had another problem.
Just some input based on my experience.

Tom

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I agree whole heartedly! This is only temporary, and it will be fixed. Another reason SLA batteries die quickly is that they're designed to be maintained at a charge, not continually discharged and charged like normal flooded batteries. My job entails a lot of battery research, and we're doing a lot with SLA batteries right now. The one in particular we are using is designed for use in warehouses as a backup power supply. What we're trying to do is figure out the best way of maintaining the battery in a constant use environment, which has proven difficult. One thing is to let it slowly discharge a small amount (say 5-15% of capacity) and recharge only the amount of amps that has been discharged. Do that for a week, then do a deeper discharge (about 25%), then followed by an equalizing charge for a specified number of hours at a certain rate. This is all dependent on the size/model of each battery, but we are slowly gaining data for many types. This, of course, is the "normal" method of use. When the battery is needed, it gets used and recharged depending on how deep the discharge was. It does get confusing, and i dont think I'll really be paying that close of attention to the amp-hours charged and discharged to be completely honest. I'm just going to use it and charge it as necessary.

I figure that if I get a year's worth of use out of it, I'll be happy. $25 isn't going to kill me.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was manager of facilities for a Denver based manufacturing company for many years. We had just over 300 battery powered emergency egress lights and like you, I wanted to see if we could extend the life of the batteries.

I used a charge/discharge schedule whereby we shut off power to each emergency fixture, initiating the battery power to run the lights and allowed them to operate for near their design run time. We did this on a monthly basis. I found the battery life was extended by over half compared to simply allowing them to sit, unused and trickle charge with the built in charger in each fixture. With 300 plus fixtures that equated to a substantial annual savings on battery replacement.
They need to work to be happy. Use them, charge them and use them. You'll get better life from your SLAs.

Tom

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Very true. Ideally, we would like to do something like that, but operationally that's not possible for us. We beat the snot out of our batteries so we try to do what we can to make them last. Our lives depend on it!

Anyways, the lights are working great! Visibility is good, and that means both ways. I can see, and also be seen.

Any further recommendations are always welcome. I do love constructive criticism. It makes things better!

Oh, and don't forget to vote on a color scheme for the Skyhawk bike. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=58889

-Terrence

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You have to love the members here. Innovation, imagination, talent and skills.

A cocktail shaker! No who'd of thunk it?

Keep those photos coming, Agreen. Amazing work. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
Yeah, this is cool. I just found this thread, and I love to see clever ways of re-purposing stuff. As I posted before, my headlight housing was made from a toilet brush holder, my air cleaner cover was a tuna fish can, my "oil tank" was a little steel toy mail box, and so on. I enjoy reading about things like this.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
i want to re-purpose this thread. great fargin job guys. Agreen i followed this from ZipTies post on his headlight. it's greater fun when you can think and build your own.
there should be a sticky just for home made tools and projects of these sorts they are here but scattered about and is fun to find and say to one's self "i can do that" or "dang i thought about it but now see how it is done" or "geeze that guy stole my idea" or "heck i'm going to waste some time and by trial and error come up with someth'n useful and save some coins".
anyway's this is all way great stuff!
or my favorite "I have a special purpose."

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I missed this thread when it was new, but enjoyed reading through it. Making your own lights and other stuff is great fun. I felt so proud of myself when I came up with my first copper jewel light and then even better making a headlight out of a copper Portuguese kitchen pot with a leaded stained glass lens. Only kid on my block with one of those... ha!
SB