Board Track Wear?

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I'm sure many of us have lusted after racing sweaters like this one. Unfortunately this style of sweater is not commonly available. I'm gifted (or cursed) with a mind that never stops trying to make things out of something else and when I saw a stack $70 sweaters at Kohls for yard sale prices, I scooped up navy blue and cream colored sweaters of the same make. I'm thinking of swapping the sleeves to recreate the look. If I feel really crafty I'll stitch on some letters.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
I would put a bid on that as well... are the originals a knitted thing? Sweet Sassafras (Miss Annie) reckons she might produce them to custom order if yers trooly buys her a knitting machine... which I might just do. We're pretty sure there's a market for such...

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
It appears to me that the originals were created from a variety of types of sweaters; some turtle necks, some with a turn down collar and partial zip, and some as shown above. Most have a sort of amateur look to the lettering. You can almost imagine a wife or girlfriend working on the jersey while the racer tinkers on his machine.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Hey if you making some, I'll buy one.
Do you mean the sweater? On the back burner for now. I got as far as transplanting the sleeves. Of course I have sleeves and body to make a reverse color version but my wife already put dibs on that. :)

For any that are interested in this project it is definitely possible to remove the sleeves from a sweater without it unraveling. But... the sleeves are attached at seems with yarn that is nearly impossible to to discriminate from the actual knitting. Ripping the seem is VERY tedious and a few "oopsies" are inevitable. At any rate, any errors con be corrected by covering them with the new seem when you stitch the thing back together.

Not a good picture but here's what I have so far. Still thinking about the easiest way to do the lettering applique.

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Re the lettering: the major fabric stores, like Jo-Ann Fabrics, have iron-on letters (usually both caps and lower cases) in all sorts of styles, colors, and sizes. I've used them and, although ironing them on holds up okay, I find you will want to tack around the edges of each letter with matching thread just to be safe, and it will look better too.
Oh, and seam ripping gets easier the more you do it. I've done plenty of tailoring and alterations and a good deal of costuming. Alterations demand plucking of seams. And with tailoring and costuming, well...even us experienced folks still make a mistake sometimes. And there's nothing for it but to rip 'er apart and try again. Sometimes, the only things all your experience gets you is that you learn to recognize a mistake when you see it, and you can fix it faster and better because you've done this before. :)

Last edited: