Veterans Day / USMC 237 B-Day

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Thanks to all you Vets out there and all who have gone before us. And a day late happy B-Day to all you Jarheads!
Semper Fi, Dan

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
I too would like to thank our vet's, and also shed a tear for there are too many veterans who have been screwed over by the government they served so well. to turn their back on your own countrymen is treason in the worst way, when so many have given so much. only the dead feel no pain, the wounded will, for the rest of time. god bless you all. dennis

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
3 replys and one was mine. Isn't that sad?
If your son or daughter was a vet I'll bet you'd have had something to say.

Thanks again vets. At least there's a few of us who realize what you're doing and have done for your country, and me.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Though we didn't get a lot of replies here, the country has come a long, long way since the Vietnam vets came home. I never want to see any US service men and women treated as disrespectfully as the Vietnam vets were treated by the public upon return to CONUS. I better stop there before I get warmed up. Thank you for the post, Tinsmith.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Thanks Guys, What you say is correct Wheel, and I'm always proud to see the folks turn out when they come home. Heck you couldn't even wear your uniform in public without expecting a confrontation. I'm gonna quit before I get warmed up too, I just wish the politicians who get us in these conflicts would learn they are of no consequence and serve no long term purpose.
Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I won't get too warmed up either but I will risk being accused of posting controversy.

What gets me is this national outpouring of respect and admiration for police and firfighters. Yes, there were a handfull of 'heros' in New York on 9-11 but every cop and fireman in this country wasn't there...so why are they, since 9-11 considered heros?

I have nothing against them or their chosen profession but why are they offered discounts, admiration and public praise and our military troops are struggling to make ends meet on their meager pay and they are rarely recognized even on Vet's Day.
Sort of rubs me the wrong way.

Sorry. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Tom

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
We were taught to beat our enemies, but, to not send our Grandsons and Granddaughters, we must win our enemies. anyways send me instead.
Mason_man Ray

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I have been able to meet and help, in some small way, a few of these young folks returning home. Their stories and struggles to move on often bring me to tears. I guess time will do that to an "old soul". A Warrant Officer I worked for was shot down and taken as a POW in 72. We got him back when they were all relased and I listened to his stories and struggles and hope he has had a good life

But to see these young folks in our community and those at Bethesda Naval Hospital just tears me up. We can never do enough to repay and help them.

I'm done on this subject.

Thanks for joining in Guys! Dan

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dan,
Just saw this post, so responding is kind of late. The note I sent you the other day (V-day) was a kind of round about way of acknowledging those who served and particularly those who gave their lives. Some people are filled with pride on Veterans Day and rightly so. Mostly I feel a sadness. I'm going to paste in my note to you and share it with others. We may not all say things right out as it is a kind of awkward thing sometimes, but I think a lot of us feel deeply for all of you and want to express our gratitude... just might not know how.

"My friend,
Snow is falling so there is a new dusting covering everything. A woodpecker clings to the side of a large birch tree, searching for lunch. There is some high wind in the forest canopy, but not much. It is quiet, as am I, as snow swirls to earth.
I would go to town to do laundry, perhaps buy makings for soup, go to the library for book renewals but it is veteran's day so much is closed. Maybe it is fitting that there seems to be a large pause with nothing happening but the fall of snow to earth. I don't like to think of all the fallen soldiers of all the wars, all the young who died too often to little purpose. I could have been one of them, but for some reason was spared that. So I am here to think about them and to witness the falling snow..
A cup of coffee or tea sounds good. And another log on the fire. Moosh lies sleeping, perhaps dreaming of a red squirrel like the one I just saw scurry across the new snow... finding a pine nut to quickly eat... and then hurrying on.
Winter settles in with the falling snow and I am here to bear cold witness.
Silverbear"

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
not sure how I missed this thread :(
thank you to all, past and present, members of the armed forces(^)

the land of the free, because of the brave

all gave some, some gave all

(my two favorite military appreciation quotes)

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Thanks Guys, be assured we vets do appreciate it. As for my favorite quote Iwas always partial to: If you dont want to stand behind our troops try standing in front off them once. I send my thanks to all those who have served those who came before me, to those who came after me. Most of all, to those who souls made it home before their bodies did.