Paycheck Soon, I want to do this right!

GoldenMotor.com

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Hey guys, so I get my paycheck soon, the 27th (What? That's not soon? ... I guess not really), and I want to build my motor-bicycle right. The reason I'm posting this early is so I can know exactly what I'm going to buy so I can order the night of my paycheck.

So I just want a basic 26" cruiser with an inexpensive 2-stroke kit.
I don't exactly have a set budget, but I'd like to stay under $350.
Here's my build so far:

Extra info: I think It'd be cool to have my bike be as quiet as possible, but be able to climb some decent sized hills (44T sprocket?), and hopefully good MPG, but don't care too much for MPH. Is this too much to ask? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, I really hope for some feedback so I can be like this dude: .ride7a

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Hey guys, so I get my paycheck soon, the 27th (What? That's not soon? ... I guess not really), and I want to build my motor-bicycle right. The reason I'm posting this early is so I can know exactly what I'm going to buy so I can order the night of my paycheck.

So I just want a basic 26" cruiser with an inexpensive 2-stroke kit.
I don't exactly have a set budget, but I'd like to stay under $350.
Here's my build so far:

Extra info: I think It'd be cool to have my bike be as quiet as possible, but be able to climb some decent sized hills (44T sprocket?), and hopefully good MPG, but don't care too much for MPH. Is this too much to ask? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, I really hope for some feedback so I can be like this dude: .ride7a
#1 that Ebay motor is JUNK and the odds of being able to find parts is slim

#2 first pipe is for a POCKET BIKE not a motorized bicycle same with the second unless you can cut them apart and weld back to gather they will not fit

you can do it the cheap way and learn to fix a lot of things after you push it home because it broke or you can spend a little more and use your time riding and not fixing it.bld.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
#1 that Ebay motor is JUNK and the odds of being able to find parts is slim

#2 first pipe is for a POCKET BIKE not a motorized bicycle same with the second unless you can cut them apart and weld back to gather they will not fit

you can do it the cheap way and learn to fix a lot of things after you push it home because it broke or you can spend a little more and use your time riding and not fixing it.bld.
How do you know that the kit is junk? I've heard of many eBay motors working just fine, and this one seems to be nice...? And aren't most of these kits compatible with each other?

Are you sure that the exhaust wont work without all that? I saw this thread http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40137
And it seems to work?

(BTW I'm not denying your advice, I'm just looking for clarification)

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Are you sure that the exhaust wont work without all that? I saw this thread http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40137
And it seems to work?

(BTW I'm not denying your advice, I'm just looking for clarification)
In that thread, LLC mentions using one *similar*, which is the Speed-Demon exhaust from Bikeberry. The OP did not actually report that the one on eBay actually worked or not. It might, but they did not say.

I have the Speed-Demon exhaust too, and the power increase is so small over stock, you would be better off spending your money elsewhere. I would suggest getting a hub adapter for the sprocket. Less headaches on setup and less of a chance to kill your spokes. If you want to go with the stock 44t sprocket, I think the Howard adapter uses the stock 9 hole sprockets. That would save you a little $ since you would not have to get a new sprocket as well.

If you are dead set on an exhaust, I would spend a little more on the Arrow pipe, or the SBP pipe. They should give you more of a boost in power.

I think you are not getting a ton of responses since you said that you want to do it right, but then said that you are on a pretty limited budget and want to use the cheapest bike and kit available.

I am not saying to not do it, it is the same thing I did. I also upgraded over the past few months everything except the frame, seat, and handlebars. And this weekend I am switching over to a different frame since mine cracked. So she is a Cranbrook no more. I figured I have about $850 in the bike now...

BUT, it was a great learning experience and I enjoy working on the bike. Here is my build thread, from birth to death... How original, a Cranbrook build!

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

yep those pipes sure will mount up like this

do your research on how hard it is to get parts from these fly by night Ebay sellers boygofast and luckyyearbird sell parts for the motors they sell

NOT ALL MOTORS CAN USE ALL PARTS FROM ANOTHER MOTOR....

since it looks like this advise will not be taken anyway good luck with your build

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
In that thread, LLC mentions using one *similar*, which is the Speed-Demon exhaust from Bikeberry. The OP did not actually report that the one on eBay actually worked or not. It might, but they did not say.

I have the Speed-Demon exhaust too, and the power increase is so small over stock, you would be better off spending your money elsewhere. I would suggest getting a hub adapter for the sprocket. Less headaches on setup and less of a chance to kill your spokes. If you want to go with the stock 44t sprocket, I think the Howard adapter uses the stock 9 hole sprockets. That would save you a little $ since you would not have to get a new sprocket as well.

If you are dead set on an exhaust, I would spend a little more on the Arrow pipe, or the SBP pipe. They should give you more of a boost in power.

I think you are not getting a ton of responses since you said that you want to do it right, but then said that you are on a pretty limited budget and want to use the cheapest bike and kit available.

I am not saying to not do it, it is the same thing I did. I also upgraded over the past few months everything except the frame, seat, and handlebars. And this weekend I am switching over to a different frame since mine cracked. So she is a Cranbrook no more. I figured I have about $850 in the bike now...

BUT, it was a great learning experience and I enjoy working on the bike. Here is my build thread, from birth to death... How original, a Cranbrook build!
>>Noob-ish questions detected<<
What's a hub adapter?

Uhmm I'm not really looking for a boost in power exactly, I'm mostly looking for silence. I've read up about silencing motor bicycles, but before I do all those modifications/what not I'd want to start with a good muffler/exhaust.

i'm going to be reading through your thread ;)

yep those pipes sure will mount up like this

do your research on how hard it is to get parts from these fly by night Ebay sellers boygofast and luckyyearbird sell parts for the motors they sell

NOT ALL MOTORS CAN USE ALL PARTS FROM ANOTHER MOTOR....

since it looks like this advise will not be taken anyway good luck with your build
Errr, not sure if you're being sarcasm about "yep those... like this"

You misunderstood me D:
Like i said earlier, I wasn't denying your advice I was just asking for clarifications... which you've given (but still a bit confused about what-I-think is sarcasm)

I wouldn't be posting this huge thread if I didn't want peoples' advice.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

is a sprocket hub adapter does not need the dreaded ragjoint

if you can not tell by the way the pipes are bent on those pocketbike pipes are nothing like the pipes on the motorized bicycle in the picture then I do not think we can help you with that

quality ..... you get what you pay for

Last edited:

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California

is a sprocket hub adapter does not need the dreaded ragjoint

if you can not tell by the way the pipes are bent on those pocketbike pipes are nothing like the pipes on the motorized bicycle in the picture then I do not think we can help you with that

quality ..... you get what you pay for
(Jesus, my eyes hurt from all this research)

-Rubs eyes- Uhm, I'm kind of scared to ask/say but... I still don't fully understand what a hub adapter is/what it does. Does it just make it easier to install? From the picture I'm guessing the "dreaded ragjoint" is the rubber+bolts that is usually used to attach the sprocket?

I really feel like i'm being talked down to with that... and yes I do see it.

Any suggestions on what kit I should buy? The research I talked about before was deciding this...
I figure http://www.shop.motorizedbikeparts.com/product.sc?productId=32
that guy with the Stinger Kits, or ThatsDax... Both real pricey but... like you said "you get what you pay for"

~EDIT: I also saw this guy... http://www.gasenginebicycles.com/
I'm going to go search him up right now

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
You got it, the hub adapter is just an easier, fairly foolproof way to mount the sprocket. The rag joint squeezes against the spokes and the sprocket mounts to that. The issue with the rag joint is that it is difficult for a novice to get it lined up perfectly (I tried for many hours before giving up). And also the drive force is placed on the spokes, which can cause them to bend and snap.

A hub adapter will clamp onto the hub itself an focuses the force there instead of on the spokes. Installation is a snap since you cannot mount it uncentered, and they also afford you a little side-to-side adjustment to get the chain run straight.

It is by no means necessary and a lot of guys have put thousands of miles on a rag joint, but it was worth it for me since it made installation a breeze and it is one less thing to worry about going horribly wrong.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
You got it, the hub adapter is just an easier, fairly foolproof way to mount the sprocket. The rag joint squeezes against the spokes and the sprocket mounts to that. The issue with the rag joint is that it is difficult for a novice to get it lined up perfectly (I tried for many hours before giving up). And also the drive force is placed on the spokes, which can cause them to bend and snap.

A hub adapter will clamp onto the hub itself an focuses the force there instead of on the spokes. Installation is a snap since you cannot mount it uncentered, and they also afford you a little side-to-side adjustment to get the chain run straight.

It is by no means necessary and a lot of guys have put thousands of miles on a rag joint, but it was worth it for me since it made installation a breeze and it is one less thing to worry about going horribly wrong.
Ahh thanks, that sounds really nice, but the only ones I can find are $40-100 before shipping >< THat might be something I'll look into in the future for sure though ;)

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
And about the noise, I would try the stock exhaust first. I considered mine pretty quiet. I think a 4 stroke would be even quieter with a stock pipe, and more reliable. Plenty of people love their HS 49s.

My next build will most likely be a 4 stroke 99cc Predator. It will take more custom work so definitely glad I did not do it before my HT build, but I think it will serve me better in the long run.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
And about the noise, I would try the stock exhaust first. I considered mine pretty quiet. I think a 4 stroke would be even quieter with a stock pipe, and more reliable. Plenty of people love their HS 49s.

My next build will most likely be a 4 stroke 99cc Predator. It will take more custom work so definitely glad I did not do it before my HT build, but I think it will serve me better in the long run.
Beutiful advice .boogy1a

I wish I could afford the 4 stroke...
-clears throat- Anyways, I'm definitely going to try out the stock muffler, although I cringe at the aesthetics of it... I was looking through this thread

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=36449

And I see lots of "EMT", i don't know what that is, but i'm guessing some kind of pipe? Could I attach some pipes/plumbing to the stock muffler without affecting performance and perhaps quiet it?

>Sorry... lots of questions<

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
EMT is metal conduit, used for running electrical wires through. People use it for exhausts since it is easier to bend than regular steel tubing and can be found at most local hardware stores.

Since the stock muffler is not a tuned length like an expansion chamber is, you should be able to extend the header without affecting power much, if at all. If you have the ability to cut and weld, I would say definitely give it a go! If you do not have a welder, a muffler shop should be able to do it for you pretty inexpensively, too.

You can also buy exhausts that do the same thing, such as this one from Bikeberry, commonly called a Poo Poo Pipe: Street Poo-Poo EPA Chrome Muffler Exhaust

You can usually find those on eBay as well as other vendors, I just included the Bikeberry link since I remembered them having Poo Poo pipes. Those are going to be about as quiet a muffler as you can get commercially for these motors.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
You might find this help full mysterysandwich http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37370
Haha.. thanks

EMT is metal conduit, used for running electrical wires through. People use it for exhausts since it is easier to bend than regular steel tubing and can be found at most local hardware stores.

Since the stock muffler is not a tuned length like an expansion chamber is, you should be able to extend the header without affecting power much, if at all. If you have the ability to cut and weld, I would say definitely give it a go! If you do not have a welder, a muffler shop should be able to do it for you pretty inexpensively, too.

You can also buy exhausts that do the same thing, such as this one from Bikeberry, commonly called a Poo Poo Pipe: Street Poo-Poo EPA Chrome Muffler Exhaust

You can usually find those on eBay as well as other vendors, I just included the Bikeberry link since I remembered them having Poo Poo pipes. Those are going to be about as quiet a muffler as you can get commercially for these motors.
I think I might go with the poopoo pipe, I actually also remember seeing them on kingsmotorbikes http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/bike-motor-engine-aftermarket-parts_1.htm
But didn't understand the difference between the two (fancy / fancy street) the color looks different and so does that arm-piece (don't know the name of that). If the ones on kingsMB are equal or better I'd probably go with those (I like them aesthetics wise :oops:)
Of course this is after testing out the stock exhaust

Thanks for all the help by the way.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I would like to give some advice as well....
DON'T BUY THAT ENGINE OR EXHAUST!!!!!!!!!!!
Be patient! go to custommotorizedbicycles.com and choose an engine there, my advice is to spend the little extra and get a pk 68.5/80cc engine kit then go to bikebuyers.com and pick a quality bike that would cost as much or little more then Wal-Mart someone on this forum once said "A Cheap Bike is NO GOOD! and a GOOD BIKE! is not cheap!" you will be a smart person to listen to the well given advice concerning your product and componant purchases, you seriously don't want to chuck the thing in the trash in about a month do you?? be patient and spend wisely!!
PS........ a little secret, we who know what we are doing buy bikes at Wal-Mart FOR PARTS ONLY!!

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
I would like to give some advice as well....
DON'T BUY THAT ENGINE OR EXHAUST!!!!!!!!!!!
Be patient! go to custommotorizedbicycles.com and choose an engine there, my advice is to spend the little extra and get a pk 68.5/80cc engine kit then go to bikebuyers.com and pick a quality bike that would cost as much or little more then Wal-Mart someone on this forum once said "A Cheap Bike is NO GOOD! and a GOOD BIKE! is not cheap!" you will be a smart person to listen to the well given advice concerning your product and componant purchases, you seriously don't want to chuck the thing in the trash in about a month do you?? be patient and spend wisely!!
PS........ a little secret, we who know what we are doing buy bikes at Wal-Mart FOR PARTS ONLY!!
I think you meant http://custommotoredbicycles.com/
? (a bit of googling helped me find that)

I would love to do both of those things, but I just don't have the money... I'm willing to spend $200+ on an engine kit, but I don't want to spend more than I have too, like I said earlier I was thiking SD Stinger kits for $220 shipped~ or thatsdax which is about the same price and a little more for the 66cc

I'm not going to lie the engine kit you suggested is really tempting, but the price is up there with motovelo.us which I had asked abotu a while back, when people told me "motovelo is sooo expensive, you should look into some lower priced things that willbe just as good"

As for the bicycle itself... I've heard of people using walmart bikes and it works out just fine -- besides I'm pretty well-equipped with knowledge when it comes to ordinary bicycles, I should be able to tackle any problems that come with the walmart bike.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The only 2 bikes that Wal-Mart has eveer sokd is the Schwinn Admiral and the Thruster Fixie,I would get the Stinger they have a decent track record but really it sounds like you have your mind made already as to what you want to do.
One last piece of advice......... save your money until the next payday and do it right you say you don't have very much $$$ well all the more reason to do right!!!
GOOD LUCK!!

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
The only 2 bikes that Wal-Mart has eveer sokd is the Schwinn Admiral and the Thruster Fixie,I would get the Stinger they have a decent track record but really it sounds like you have your mind made already as to what you want to do.
One last piece of advice......... save your money until the next payday and do it right you say you don't have very much $$$ well all the more reason to do right!!!
GOOD LUCK!!
I actually put a wanted ad on craiglist looking for a better bike, so hopefully that is covered ;)

And I'm probably going to go for a thatsdax motor, I've heard they're pretty good and he has good customer service so if I run into trouble, it wont be much of a problem. BUT I am still looking for suggestions on the engine kit.