Cranbrooke 1st Build

GoldenMotor.com

matti

May 27, 2011
NJ
This how I came up with a new way to mount the Skyhawk GT5 on my 2nd build. I used a steel water pie hanger & made a rubber mount out of an old jeep motor mount. I also cast a rubber mount for the rear of the GT5 so the entire motor is isolated from the frame in rubber. when I had the motor mounted on my first build I bolted directly to the frame & it vibrated so bad bolt were coming off every time I rode. waiting on some additional parts before i can try it out

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Matti,
You're in for a disappointment. Engines mounted in rubber is a bad idea. You are not eliminating the vibrations but only transfering them to the engine mounts and fasteners.
Do a little research here regarding engine mounts and read what others have discovered about rubber mounts.
Go back to a solid mount and make sure the mounts have full metal to metal contact.
Do not overtighten the fasteners and make sure your exhaust system is also secured.
Tom

matti

May 27, 2011
NJ
@ Tom, Thanks for the heads up on rubber mounts. I am from NJ & Italian so we tend to be a little hard headed :) I let you know how it works out & if what you say holds true I will go back to direct metal to metal

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Hi, i have built between 15 and 20 cranbrooks...they make great motorbikes, but listen to 2 door, lose the rubber in your motor mounts, other than that your mounts look great make some new fender brackets , i 1/8 th or 3/16 th angle iron about a half inch wide... remove all chain guards ...or just wait a week or two and they remove themselves :) chop that rear fender off a couple inches in front of the new angle iron bracket..... i have also built about a half dozen dept. store schwinns... the wheels are just not up to MB duty...had to replace 2 already... your bike looks great btw.... the china engine kits get alot of blame for their quality, but if done properly they are great, 99% of the failures i read about on here i would say is because of poor instalation not the engine kits...make damn sure your rear sprocket is centered...and i mean dead nuts centered not just close,and use the rubber that comes with the kit it helps dampen the torsional vibration between the engine and rear hub. like 2door said, lose the rubber in the motor mounts... i have over 2000 trouble free miles on my bike now and about 35 to 40 happy customers David, Atomicmotorbikes, Fresno CA.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
oh, almost forgot....cranbrooks dont come with a front brake... add one on or make sure your life insurance premiums are paid up :)

matti

May 27, 2011
NJ
@ Dave, Thanks for the info. I was pretty happy with my first build using a Cranny however could not keep bolts on no matter how much Locktight I used. Although the rear sprocket & motor sprocket were dead on parallel the chain was still rubbing the rear tire a smidgen even though I turned the rear sprocket outward & needed to use one rubber clamp on the inside & outside of the spokes to get things to line up. I am out of the country & have not begone to install the sprocket ass'y yet on the Schwinn but I will let you know how things turn out Once again thanks for the info....my insurance is paid up :)

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
really digging the seat (esp the position!), while uncomfortable looking padding-wise. also glad to see what the springer forks look like on the cranny... it's on my to-do list! what are the measurements for the one you installed? and damn i hate the stock pedals, glad i just got some old steel ones today!

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
I got to say she looks good. However, I do not understand why so many go with the cranebrook? I have helped a couple of guys in my area try to keep these POS frames together and run well but, the bottom line is your not saving any money using the worst frame possible to strap a vibrating engine too. And yes rubber mounts sound good in theory but, do end up snapping engine studs. Go rigid, and get a decent frame to start with.

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
really digging the seat (esp the position!), while uncomfortable looking padding-wise. also glad to see what the springer forks look like on the cranny... it's on my to-do list! what are the measurements for the one you installed? and damn i hate the stock pedals, glad i just got some old steel ones today!
Seats, not that bad actually, I bought the springer fork from bikebuyers.com here's the link to the same one I bought that's the right size.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...scription&index=13&nav=SEARCH&nid=76879706197

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
I got to say she looks good. However, I do not understand why so many go with the cranebrook? I have helped a couple of guys in my area try to keep these POS frames together and run well but, the bottom line is your not saving any money using the worst frame possible to strap a vibrating engine too. And yes rubber mounts sound good in theory but, do end up snapping engine studs. Go rigid, and get a decent frame to start with.
Thanks, frames not that bad, and my Grubee SkyHawk Super Rat does not vibrate that bad, I made custom motor mounts. Reason I went with the Cranny frame, was that I bought it for 50 bucks new from some old man, and is my first build, I also upgraded the rims to heavy duty ones.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Nice! Gotta love the short, squatty stance of the Cranny! Love the fork. Torn between a triple tree setup or springer for mine...either way, it'll have to wait for a bit.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
judging from the filter, looks like you're running the CNSv2 carb...? did you have to drill your jet or anything of the sort?

(sorry if this has already been discussed, i don't have time to read through everything at the moment)

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Olsmokey, grab an RT carb from Dax. It's a Dellorto clone and actually looks and feels like a real carb. Great piece. Easy tuning. Auto choke. Comes with a jet kit, filter, and seals to intake. All for $30. Night and day change to my bike. You will need to pick up his throttle cable as well.