The 2nd 'no spoke' wheel falling apart

GoldenMotor.com

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Hi everybody, about 4 months ago I was riding one day to work and noticed this 'crack' noise from my rear wheel. I thought nothing much of it as my bike just kept chugging along without any noticable probs. As I kept riding it in the next few weeks the noise in the wheel was getting louder and louder. Just a few weeks ago the wheel noise was getting really scary and I knew the wheel was going to fail one day. Just early this week I was riding back from work and heard a big crack and immediately stopped the bike to check the wheel out. I saw that one of the spokes had completely broken off the hub so I had to push the bike home for 2 hours which otherwise would have taken me 20minutes and got home about 2 in the morning.. and its the second one thats failed.

I'm vowing never to buy those wheels again as theyre not all theyre cracked up to be (no pun intended) Sure they may look good and tough but it seems when one weld goes, domino effect causes the rest of them go too with it. In my opinion, theyre not really suited for MBs.

I just finished installing a new heavy duty spoked one with thick spokes :) I wont go as fast as the previous one as I only have a 50T sprocket but oh well you cant have everything..

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What kind of wheel was the failed one? Sounds like something to avoid for all of us if it is the second one for you. Good luck with the heavy duty wheel. I've been going that route myself on my old bikes. It's a nice feeling of security having those thick spokes and rims. Glad you didn't get hurt.
SB

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Thanks Silverbear, yep apparently its the ones that you can buy from ebay under the title 'no spoke' wheels. Even some other bikers here in Oz have cracked theirs too Ive been told. Actually even with a spoke missing, the outside rim was still in fair shape as I could still roll on it without too much out of round but the sound was becoming unbearable and rickety.. kind of like a mobile junkyard lol! I can tell you Ive wasted my money.. twice. The double walled wheels look good though and give me confidence to do anything on the bike.. Im thinking of getting a 36T and ditching the slow 50T sprocket..

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Thanks For Posting That Info. Have Been Wanting Strong Wheel`s As I`am Biggie Sized. I Have Not Had Any Trouble Yet, But Am Not A Frequent Flyer. Ron .cvlt1