Bike Laws

GoldenMotor.com

Beetle Juice

Jun 6, 2009
north carolina
I remember as a kid 30 years ago a company came out with a moped called motobecane I think is the right spelling any way the theory was it had to be a 49 cc engine and had to pedal to get it started in which you need no license to ride on the highway. Well to day we call them (liquer cicles that is the correct spelling for the drunk bikes) Any way everyone in my town are selling scooter that will run 60 mph and people are running around town with no insurance no tags and then the officer have the nerve to stop someone on a motor bike. What are the Laws for motor bikes I always thought if you bought a scooter it has a serial number in which goes to the DMV office then how are all these scooters getting buy with it and the police see them all the time sometime with 2 people on it and I can promise you the don't even have a motorcycle license or even a license at all for that matter. It seem the officer don't know the law. Also I want to add that the moped could not run over 28 mph I think. Well look's to me like everyone here on the forum is keeping that speed at about 28 for the fun and the lasting of the engine. Any reply would be great Beetle Juiceusflg

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Every state is different. Try these links BJ.
North Carolina Scooter Laws
General Statutes: North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes
Legislative URL: North Carolina General Assembly - Home Page
DMV/DOT: NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles

If they don't work, here is a link to the post on this site. Scroll down to the second post to find NC. Good luck!
http://motorbicycling.com/f17/scooter-moped-class-laws-48-states-7801.html

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
are they gas scooters? cause they now make full size electric scooters that look like the gas ones but dont need reg or insurance and some can go up to 60mph.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I keep a copy of that section of our state law dealing motorized bicycles in my toolbox on my bike. Policemen have to remember a lot of laws, ordinances and statutes so it's not a bad idea to keep some info with you so that the officer can verify your right ride on the road. You can at least keep the first page of the statute with you that contains the section or paragraph number that the lawman will need to find the info on his system. Cheers

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
at my dmv in my town you would be lucky to register even your car without a hassle.
if i go in to the dmv and tell them i want to register a bike that has a engine they will:
1. laugh at me 2. tell me you cant put a gas motor on a bike 3. laugh again 4. get mad at me 5. they will get the manager 6. they tell me no again 7. they tell me to leave.
8. all of the above.

you forget to mention that you probally bought your bike that came with a engine and certificate.
and that you have to buy special equipment to make your bike into a moped.
your bike that you bought cost the same as a real moped.

Last edited: