Do they work

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Deacon--Do you know if 1.5 kilowatts is 1.500 watts?
Just found out if I claim a bike as a moped instead of a power asisted bike I can go to 1.5 kilowatts.Means license/insurance but my drivers license is good enough.
Might need it to push the workman and a side car plus lard butt.
Steve.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I had thought about it i would have figured it out but the answer is not I didn't right off hand. The largest motor I know of for a scooter is 1200 watts, but that's just what I have seen. There are probably larger ones that run on batteries. Especially since they plan to go with E motors for small cars.

with a moped will you need complete lights and heavy duty brakes as well as turn signals and other stuff. Brake lights ect. Short answer yes 1000 watts equals one kilowatt.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Yes I was working on the theory that I will need all the good stuff added on.Just Think since I want to travel it would be easier to do it with plates and insurance.
Looking at a motor home to get away from the wet winters here.Just tow the bike as a
get around vehicle/attend the MB meets.
I looked up the watts question and it is 1,500 watts.Cant imagine the battery you would need for that.May be better off with a 1,000 watt motor.
Thank you.
Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Cabinfever--Thanks.As I was pecking out the above your answer came in.
Everybody in my circle here says gas but I have always been out of step all my life.Just think the way it's headed we may all be forced onto e-bikes.Two stroke outboards are being outlawed and the next rain of terror will be aimed at MB as there are more on the road.Forgot they pushed two stroke lawn mowers out too.
Steve.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Recommended Accesories: for a 1500watt motor
80 Amp Brushless Speed Control
6-9S Lithium Polymer or 16 to 30 Cell NiCd or NiMH Battery, capable
of 50-65 Amps

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
I have four SLA batteries desulfated and ready to test. I used an Optimate 3. Since my china gurl is sick, I will have the time. The weather needs to co-operate. I plan on going out as far as I can on the SLA's and return on the Li-Ion's. Hopefully, I'll make it to Laconia.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
let me know how you feel about the desulfination. I hate to waste 30 bucks but it's a good investment if it works.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
I wont really know how I feel til I test them. China gurl is back on her feet. I will try to resist her temptations and test the ebike.

Where did you find a desalinator for 30 bux? Is it good quality? My Optimate 3 cost 60. Got because of recommendation from guys at endless-sphere.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It was a hit or miss ebay find. I didn't buy it though since I have read different things about their performance. Some china dealer I'm sure. Heck there were a dozen when I found them last week now I can't find any on there. I must have forgotten how I found them.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
deacon- you can de-sulfinate you battery by using a very low amp to charge it....very low amp.

That's all they are is a very very low amp charger.

Sometimes they don't work depending on how far gone the battery is.

Larger batteries respond better than small batteries.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, if a battery is really bad, you can prepare a 5 gallon bucket with a couple boxes of baking soda, then pour out the old acid, rinse the inside of the battery with DISTILLED water, and then fill it back up with NEW acid.
Charge at the lowest rate possible.

7 out of 10 times it will work.

The idea is to clean out the crapola that has settled and shorted out the plates, and then use clean, new acid to refill.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
The optimate pulses and goes though several phases. The re-filling the battery thing was suggested to me also. But I don't like playing with battery acid. lol
Here's my thread from endles-phere:
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Electronic Desulfators
I got the Optimate 3 only because I could find it locally. The 4 wasn't even in the guys catalog.
Don't wait till there completely dead to do it. I quit using mine when they got done to 1/3 of normal range.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My batteries are sealed I'm not man enough to drill and refill them. The ones I have are still tip top. I just thought I would try to do a little pm with one. If I see one cheap again I will give it a shot. I charge at 1,5 amps. I have no idea how long these batteries will last. I would like to think they will go a while longer if I use one of those fancy desulfinators once in a while on them.

They say the worst thing you can do to a sla battery is to store it flat. ie no charge or weak.