How exactly do I port the intake and exhaust?

GoldenMotor.com

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
I just attempted to port the exhaust with a dremel. the gasket and pipe match pretty well now, not perfectly, and it has made no difference. what did i do wrong? what did i not do at all?

Did you match the gasket to the port before matching the pipe to the gasket?

justthisguy1292

Jan 16, 2009
Massachusetts
ya i tried to do that. problem is that my stock gasket is falling apart now. the stuff between the two really thin sheets of metal started crumbling and has broken apart, it still seals though. some of the metal got bent and folded over too. i didn't realize how fragile these things are till it was too late. i'd put up pictures but i don't know how. i don't even know how to start my own thread. i've just been adding on to other people's.i ordered one of sbp's expansion chambers. do you know if that comes with a new gasket?

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
the stuff between the two really thin sheets of metal started crumbling and has broken apart
Yeah, I noticed that on new engines. Seems to be made of plaster or concrete. Handle With Care!

Easy enough to crank out new ones from "Mr Gasket" material if you have a drill press.

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
I just finished porting my exhaust, next up is my intake. all i have to say is wow!! before i ported my exhaust i could not kick start my bike. now i can after porting. y'all have made me a beliver, cant wait to get my intake done, thanks all for the great help/pics and great info :)

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
i just used a dremel tool with a fine sanding drum attached, an ground the gasket away to macth the port, then i used 3 different polishing stone attachments and polishing compound on the dremel to polish the port to a mirror finish ( as close as i could get) then i got a local autobody shop to reinforce the weld connecting the manifold to the pipe and then i ground away alot of the inside diamiter of the header as i dared, so that it macthed the port alot closer. havent started on my intake yet, as im waiting on my billet intake to come in from manic mechcnic (ordered from pirate cycles) so i can then macth the intake port to the billet intake :)