Simple Turn Signal Circuit

GoldenMotor.com

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
While Browsing the local auto parts store a brainstorm hit me.
why not make a set of turn signals for a better road presence.
The most expensive part of the system would be the power source (battery).

Ultimately the design can be tweaked to any application.

As i have installed a Wald rear basket set i have room to carry a small 12v Battery pack the actual device to be determined but the circuit is based on 12V parts.

Parts List:
4 12V lights (Size and color are of choice would recommend LED)
1 12V ON Off ON Toggle Switch ($3.99)(could also use a 120V)
2 12V Flasher Units ($2.99 each)
1 12V Power source (application specific)
25' Speaker wire ($4.00)

Definition of symbols:
L1: Left front light
L2: Left rear light
R1: Right front light
R2: Right rear light
FL: Flasher left
FR: Flasher right
SWC: Switch center
SWL: Switch left
SWR: Switch right
BT: Battery
GR: Ground

Install the lights were desired keeping in mind they should be viewable to the front and rear.

Wiring description:

+12V from BT to SWC

+12V from SWL to FL
+12V from FL to both L1 and L2
GR 2nd pole of L1 and L2

+12V from SWR to FR
+12V from FR to both R1 and R2
GR 2nd pole of R1 and R2

Personally I would ground all of the lights back to the BT source to create a Single point of failure easier to trouble shoot if something is not working.

The lights will flash just like a car i utilize 2 flasher units ($2.99 each) simply to isolate the left and right side maintaining independent circuits. the simple toggle keeps the whole system cheap there are a few factors to work out such as a rechargeable inexpensive 12v system which in turn would end up being the most expensive part of the build. Using speaker wire is acceptable as this is a low voltage system you could also use phone line as well just about any small diameter wire lying around.

I also noticed in the accessories isle a 4pack of small LED lights for around $17

All in all a very simple system that will get some notice even during daylight hours.

Now if you want to get Fancy you could buy universal 1154 sockets and bulbs and have running lights with turn signals but that will be Turn Signals 2.0.

Now that i have a smooth running MB i can put my brain to better use and really get some inexpensive system ideas together.

Thanks to all for the help along the way i hope i have helped others. any input is always welcomed. i would love to see some ideas of cheap 12v rechargeable Battery system.

Estimated cost of build
flashers, toggle switch, and wire are $11 4LED light pack $17 totaling $28
Battery (small scooter battery) $40 [could also be used for head light / tail light system ] idea in the works

So roughly $68 but would like to see it under $50 thats the goal anyway a cheaper 12V is what is needed.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
update:

Now i have a source for the turn lights. Yellow up front and red in the rear for testing i am running single bulb turn signals. Tomorrow its supposed to be cold so i think I will bring in the bike and do some mock ups. Hopefully some pics to post tomorrow.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
well i set up the common ground circuit and the direct positive circuit did a dry run here in the house and it is a success. My choice of battery might be a short coming but testing will show how long the battery lasts.

I am running a 4L-BS 12v (3ah 10HR) battery i picked up new for $20.00.

I also stopped by the local scooter shop to look thru the "Bone yard" and scored a real nice light control setup with a locking clutch handle, full sized mirror, and a break sensor for $10.00 after a little clean up it looks great. I'm gunna save that one for my next build but just an Idea to find some used scooter parts.

It is supposed to be a real nice day tomorrow if i can get up early enough I should have the lights rigged up on the bike.

The Flip Video Camera is still MIA but should locate in the A.M. and post some pics.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
It was a nice day today and i did get the lights hooked up.Unfortunately i still have not found the flipa video camera doh!

However the light setup works great. I zip tied a on-off-on switch to the handlebars, ran all the wires clean and gave it a try it works just as intended.

I will dig the camera out tomorrow and finish up this thread.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you could use a 18vcordless tool battery and 1 hour quick charger.
i paid $45 for both,runs lights for hours,1 hour to recharge.$20 for extra battery,
2 12v car lights run in series=24v.inline fuse and switch.

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
great work and setup mb looks like a nice build... might try something like this of my own....but i am new here to the site and is there a way to post pictures of your bike to your profile? if so do you have other pictures of your bike? curious as to how it looks!