Disc brakes front and rear?

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The answer is.......it depends.

If you're using a friction drive or a shift kit --- no issues.

However, if you're using a China Girl kit with a rag joint, it's almost impossible to use a rear disc. Front would be no problem if you've got a fork and wheel that have the necessary mounts.

Good luck with your build!!

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
What kind of bike are you using? If your bike does not already have discs can you fabricate, or buy adapters for the caliper mounts?

The biggest problem is mounting a sprocket and rotor on the rear wheel, unless you have a shift kit or some kind of adapter to put it all together.

Once you have discs brakes you'll never want scrub brakes again, especially in hilly areas.

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
This is how I did it. For the rear I bought a grubee hd hub and a disc brake rotor with an adapter that threads onto the hub, then I made some caliper mounts out of plate steel and welded them onto the frame. For the front I scored a MTB front wheel out of a dumpster with a disc rotor already on it and pretty much did the same for the rear for the caliper mount.
I also rigged up my brake lever so it pulls on both brakes at the same time.

JacktheRiffer

Jan 23, 2014
Oklahoma
This is how I did it. For the rear I bought a grubee hd hub and a disc brake rotor with an adapter that threads onto the hub, then I made some caliper mounts out of plate steel and welded them onto the frame. For the front I scored a MTB front wheel out of a dumpster with a disc rotor already on it and pretty much did the same for the rear for the caliper mount.
I also rigged up my brake lever so it pulls on both brakes at the same time.
Thats sounds easy enough. Will most likely be the way i go. Could you by chance point me to that adapter?

eebboo1

Sep 19, 2013
lincoln ne
yes it can be done i put up some pictures of my build with disc brakes with the top hat adaptor and triple tree forks on front with disc brake mount on it.