Two stroke turbo

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
yeah, thats why I want to try and build a solid transmission (and if I, or someone else figures out a bolt on tranny, then we could all benefit from it... those willing to pay anyway)

But I dont think it'd take long at all to hit 60kph with a turbo, the 23hp 50cc KReidler hit 0-100kph in just under 4 seconds, but in the videos you can also hear him ripping through the gears, which is why I figure my top speed would be much quicker, being a small turbo there shouldnt be too much lag. Still, theres no denying that if this works, it'd be one **** of a ride :)

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
true... but... where's the fun in that? I could get a car and do the same thing but pushing these HT's to the limit is just too much fun :)

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
for sure I'll be putting it on a bike frame that (I hope) is strong enough, with a low gauge spoke tire, moped or better, disc brakes for stopping power, etc. I want to take out as many safety concerns so the only thing I will be concerned about is the turbo, worrying about turbo boost kicking in, being able to stop, frame strength, spoke strength, etc would only kill the experience. If it can be done, I want to show people that it can be. What are the chances the motorized bicycle races would let me in the nonshifter class HT race though? I'd probably be in the shifter/mid class. high powered NA motors are impressive on their own, but seeing as how a turbo can boost power 2-4x depending on timing and mods, that would be... scary to say the least. I want my only concern to be if the turbo or case grenades, I'll get a free vasectomy :p

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
So I think I've got this, though I still dont know how I'm going to run the generator (running off the wheel chain would be way too slow), but running a 24v scooter generator, combined with a 24v-12v converter (probably just a 10A), a 12v rechargeable battery pack (probably 8 AA NIMH rechargables for space), then depending on the output of the generator, run at least the 12v oil pump to the turbo, and if there's another 3A left over, then the EFI kit. Upgrading the case hardware for maximum strength to keep the boost in check (even though being a small turbo it wont add much more than maybe 10psi). Going to be a long road, going to have to make custom exhaust and intake piping to attach to it, probably weld a belt pully onto the small bevel gear or screw... but I'm really looking forward to it.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
gee, that's a neat engine. Looks like a aeroplane engine or a BMW motorcycle.

another way to 'turbo' is to use a leafblower with some NOS. watch the blue GMC ute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pMcIH0SQGPQ
problem with that is blow-through, it's been done, I know, but on 4-strokes because blow-through isnt an issue thanks to the valves. I even saw a video of a guy getting 20 extra hp from blowing N2O generally around the intake. What you're thinking of is more or less a supercharger, requires another source of power to run it (most cases it's an engine belt, but weaker, electric ones do exist as well and would be the equivalent of using a leaf blower, my friend did this with his honda: at my old job an oven blower fan needed to be replaced so he used the old one, and it added a bit of extra power.

A real turbo introduces resistance into the exhaust, which due to the nature of the spindle, makes exhaust essentially think its a variable length expansion pipe, boosting power throughout the whole range of the turbo. Then in turn it pushes more air in = bigger bang = more exhaust, and so on. The resistance doesnt allow much blow-through and because of the resonance effect, will actually help the motor be more efficient (Which isn't possible with a supercharger, it will work, but only at a specific RPM will the exhaust prevent much blow-by). the motor (according to some very generalized calculations) only sucks in 10CFM of air at a whopping 8500 RPM, so in theory even a good computer fan could help alot (most 120mm fans I've seen push around 80-110 CFM, some high power ones up to 220CFM). Of course you'd also want high static pressure, which from my understanding, is how much pressure a fan can cram into a finite area before the pressure pushes back through the spinning fan blades. High static pressure will allow the fan to cram as much air into that engine as fast as possible before it closes (allowing it to build up pressure before the next opening and repeating the process).

For example, these bad boys are considered high static pressure (note how close the fan blades get to the rim?) and push around 6x the air the motor draws, theoretically enough for these motors to rev to 27,000 RPM (of course other factors such as materials, friction, porting, etc. also come in to play to limit your speeds). But if I can find a properly sized funnel, I may give it a shot.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70461&vpn=CO-9050008-WW&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1360

Last edited: