Aluminum vs Steel

GoldenMotor.com

pistolpetehulth

Jan 17, 2013
Richmond, VA
Is there a huge difference in aluminum and steel wheels? I'm working on my first build, it's a huffy cruiser and the wheels look like they are from the 50s. I'd like to get a hub adapter from piratecycles1.com or custommotoredbikes.com for the wheels. But first I need a good set of not so expensive wheels with a coaster brake.

So what are the pros and cons of steel and aluminum wheels?.bf.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I run alloy rims for the weight. I am 250 lbs and ride daily so they are strong enough.
Steel wheels can be just as tough but are usually heavier.
Also, decent alloy rims can be had cheap anyplace that sells used bikes. Thrift stores, goodwill, etc.
I find bikes all the time for $10-25 bucks with alloy rims in perfectly good shape.
Rim brakes also work better on alloy than steel without the rusting when humidity is high.
I have several rear wheels so I can swap instead of changing sprockets.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Older bikes still use steel wheels.
For todays comfort, alloy wheels are recommended; as most roads are smooth.
But hit a sidewalk with an alloy wheel, and you'll end up replacing it.
With a steel wheel it'll be hard to dent it.

Another benefit for alloy (aluminum), is that they don't rust. Most steel rims rust only superficial, because they're treated with a polished chrome-like layer.
So even if they would rust, they generally would rust very little.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Jus' some encounters I've had w/different rim types;

Stock, single wall alloy rim after minor accident (15mph sandy turn);

70yo steel rims, ripped out five spokes (brake cable snag), only minor warping, rode home & easily fixed;

Double wall alloys, 25-30mph flip crash, no damage whatsoever to rims even though front was driven into the ground hard;

Single wall alloy rims cannot be trusted even w/o being motorized, steel rims are strong but can flex under high speed turn loads (leading to odd handling & feel), rigid & strong beyond belief - modern double wall alloy rims are really the best for our application in my opinion...

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Single wall alloy rims cannot be trusted even w/o being motorized, steel rims are strong but can flex under high speed turn loads (leading to odd handling & feel), rigid & strong beyond belief - modern double wall alloy rims are really the best for our application in my opinion...
Unless they look like this......

Incedently, that is a bomb-proof wheel build that slammed into a thick concrete wall powered by 20+ HP that sheared the hub clean in half. That rim was stronger than steel.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Is there a huge difference in aluminum and steel wheels? I'm working on my first build, it's a huffy cruiser and the wheels look like they are from the 50s. I'd like to get a hub adapter from piratecycles1.com or custommotoredbikes.com for the wheels. But first I need a good set of not so expensive wheels with a coaster brake.

So what are the pros and cons of steel and aluminum wheels?.bf.
I haven't had much trouble with cheapy single wall alloy front wheels, it's the rear you need to upgrade the most.

Alloy are the way to go, but make sure they're at least double wall. Typical single wall alloy rims that come on low end beach cruisers won't last long. Expect to pay about $110-$150 for a good low cost double wall wheel.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
i ALWAYS run steel rims. i run city driving. curbs, sidewalks, speedbumps, etc etc. (and no, the roads around here are not smooth for the most part... at least not on the side of the roads anyhow) even with steel they still end up warped... and thats WITHOUT an engine!!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The single best way to keep your rims straight is to keep an eye on the spoke tension. I run low-end alloy rims off any old parts bike and have no problems with rims bending or breaking spokes. I am 250 lbs and my handle is Maniac, so you KNOW I don't baby my stuff.
Like so much of this hobby (obsession) it's all about how you take care of your bike.
I can get these great results because I know how to maintain every part of my build while using lower priced parts to the best advantage. I also don't ride brutally, just hard. I watch for sharp edge holes and curbs and minimise the impacts on the bike while riding. Learning how to ride smooth and how to unload the weight at the moment of impact will make your rims last longer just as well as buying top dollar parts.
Even better, it's free.
But I would still ride the same on steel rims. I'd just have to work on them more.
Alloy is the way to go unless you want the look of old time steel wheels.
Denting steel is not an issue for me because I ride to avoid those impacts.
That said, if you want to be able to pound out big dents and still get home, steel works better.

If you hit a curb hard enough to bend an alloy rim beyond repair, you need to be more careful.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I liked good Aluminum alloy wheel sets because they can flex and return to shape from many instances where steel one would bend and be bent. I can make ether wheel work fine for what I do.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...14g spokes & they make no mention of the "Alloy Cruiser" rim being double wall, which means it very likely isn't - $74.23 is an awful lot of money to ask for a coaster brake wheel like that...

Try searching for 'Alex' or 'Weinmann' brands, they're some of my favorite economically priced double wall alloy rims, even on Amazon you'll find double wall rims for as little as 20-30 bucks, entire wheels for 30-40ish.

Awesome thanks to everyone for their input, this forum rocks! So I'm gonna go for the aluminum wheels to decrease weight, prevent rust and hopefully prevent bent rims. Now I'm wondering, do I still need 12 gauge or bigger spokes if I trash the rag joint and use a bolt on hub adaptor?

I'm thinkin these puppies: http://www.chubbyscruisers.com/shop/heavy-duty-wheel-set
Yea, those are a bit better lol

Last edited:

pistolpetehulth

Jan 17, 2013
Richmond, VA
Whoa those are really nice and inexpensive! Right now I'm looking at a pair for $75 and they have some sick colors. Do you recomend a specific hub adapter? Piratecycles.com, sportsman.com, custommotorbicycles.com have you any experience with these guys?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Whoa those are really nice and inexpensive! Right now I'm looking at a pair for $75 and they have some sick colors. Do you recomend a specific hub adapter? Piratecycles.com, sportsman.com, custommotorbicycles.com have you any experience with these guys?
I've bought Manic Mechanic, and Pirate Cycle adapters. Both are high quality, but since Pirate Cycle are easy to get why not?

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL

Stock, single wall alloy rim after minor accident (15mph sandy turn);

70yo steel rims, ripped out five spokes (brake cable snag), only minor warping, rode home & easily fixed;

Double wall alloys, 25-30mph flip crash, no damage whatsoever to rims even though front was driven into the ground hard;

It's not like steel wheels wouldn't have dented. I've dented a few steel rims too,
especially when the tire's flat and I was riding it.
One of the occasions I tried to ride from the street onto the sidewalk and dented my rim.

But it seems that these things are happening more with bikes with thin tires (like city bikes, regular bikes, or racing bikes; and less with thick tires, like beach cruisers and some mountain bikes with bigger tires.

Last edited:

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Like I posted on another thread, I went from old steel 27-inch rims on my 1973 Schwinn Continental to 700c rim on rear.

Steel rim pros:
Nice shiny chrome-I like chrome!
It's often amazing how even very old rusty rims can usually be cleaned up to very good condition.
Very stiff and strong. My old steel rims are double-walled.
Since they are steel, they don't need eyelets and are much easier to clean, take a buffing wheel to, and even paint if you like.
You can use chemicals like Lime-Away or oxalic acid to safely remove rust.

Cons:
My old Schwinn rims don't have a proper bead to seat a tire. This is a major pain, especially at motor-speeds with a friction drive, the tires are "hoppy" and hard to get seated right radially.
Modern extruded alloy rims have tight tolerances and don't have big, lumpy weld seams like my steel rims. Impossible to get wheels really true.
My rims were 27-inch, so tire selection was horrible.

So I got an Alex DM18 700c rim for under 20 bucks. Double-wall, eyelets, about 25mm wide. Got a 38c tire on it. Tire was 10 bucks. I reused the stainless spokes and old hub from another wheel. This was the first wheel I built with a brand-new alloy rim. What a pleasure! This thing was easy to get perfect spoke tension on and had radial and lateral runout about 1/32 inch tops. The wheel needs to be perfect because that tire just barely fits between my chain stays.

I'll probably keep the steel on front.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Pics of the new rim & tire.

Probably nobody else here is running on old 27 x 1 1/4. I have enough of this old Schwinn stuff to last another 60 years. Then I will have to give in and modernize. I'll be 110 years old then, so it won't be easy.

"Alloy rim 1" shows the big fat new tire on back. OK, not big to you guys, but every bit helps. That's a "Vee Rubber" 38c. Ten bucks at Niagara Cycle. It is smooth, good for a friction drive, but has enough tread to last a while. The rubber on these tires seems extra hard. I've put less than 100 miles on it so far, but I can already tell it's gonna last a long time. I think I will order a bunch while I can.

"Frame clearance 1" shows how tight the tire is in the frame. Looks like it's rubbing in the pic, but there's a good few millimeters space.

Attachments

Mar 31, 2013
RI
I've bought Manic Mechanic, and Pirate Cycle adapters. Both are high quality, but since Pirate Cycle are easy to get why not?
...NOTHING is easy to get at Pirate Cycles anymore unless you live close enough to actually go to the shop, if you need to reach them by phone or e-mail you may end up with a quality product or you might just end up with a bad case of agita.

peace, bozo