new electric hybrid

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
For flats I'm planning to go fix a flat. If that don't work, its cut out the wheel and redo it. Not a big thing and I hope not likely to happen often that fix a flat can't fix.

It is attached to the rear axle only. Just take the bolts off the rear axle and it comes off.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
There are lots of ways to improve this design.... you could make if from conduit as one of the guys mentioned about something else. The connection to the bike could be with a slot in the hitch instead of a hole to go over the axle. so the trailer wouldn't need as much disassembly as mine to disconnect it for storage. Mine is going to stay attached because of the effort to put it on and take it off. I am going to store it outside with a cover. Not ideal but it probably will last till someone steals it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I rode this a few minutes ago and find that the design is good but the pvc material is too flexible for the connection to the bike. It really needs to be frame with conduit not pvc. Sorry but it is a great design.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What about making a similar trailer set up out of

a.) Wood- very easy to form and shape, plus it's light.

or

b.) Tubing, gusset plates and pop rivets. Ace hardware has really cheap aluminum clothes poles that may be ideal.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Actually I have an idea for plywood. Use it as a deck and attach the wheels to it on the inside then make an outrigger of most anything and attach that to the outside of the wheel. Still working on it cause it is such a good design. the strength issue has to do with the lack of a solid front since I wraps around the bike wheel. It will come to me one day. In the meantime I converted that mess to a regular pvc bike trailer and it works quite well. At least as long as the batteries stay over the wheels but they are way way heavy.

As just a utility trailer for the gas bike it should be very cool. I have some of those large storage boxes I think I will screw one of those to the bed of the bike to make for a good storage unit on wheels. Should work great for shopping and things like that. I'll make a shot of it when I get the box attached.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Deacon could you take a peice of angle iron flange pointed down and screw it to the bottom of the pvc or maybe pop rivets. I bet that would stiffen it up......................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have been thinking about a half inch alum tube and just slide it inside the pipes. It should go all the way through just like water would. Its strong enough its the flex that gets me, It breaks the joints loose.