inner tube

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a 26" rear wheel and I keep getting flats.So I bought a new tire and new rim tape.I was just wondering what tube I should get to help have no more flats as easy?I'm open for all your guys opinion.Thanks

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
which brand? I have had two of them bell brand self seal one's go flat in the last month.bought at walmat.I bought the schwin self sealant it went in 3 days.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I would try the slime filled tube, if you are having that many flats what are you finding in the tire? Maybe try a bike shop bmx tube.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
That's just it I'm not finding any thing in the tire.I'm hoping that the tire was cheap one so I bought a nice thicker side wall and tire.There's a neighbor who has a couple of rose bushes who trims them all of the time and,leaves the pieces every where for me to hit.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're plagued with Goat's Head thorns here and they'll usually punch through anything but I've had good luck with thorn proof tubes. They're very heavy thick rubber and I use liners between them and the tire.

I use to use 'Slime' but had some bad luck with it coagulating and forminmg a lump and it plugged up my valve stems and pressure guages. Many guys use and swear by it but as with everything...use what works for you.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I use the extra thick thorn resistant tubes. Slime tubes leave a nasty mess when you do get a hole (and you WILL) I've only had one flat since I got the thick tubes and that was from a drywall screw. Excellent flat resistance!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What I've been doing that cost zero, and has so far been 100% effective is to gut the old tube by cutting out the valve stem, and cutting the inside diameter of the tube all the way around. Then I put the new tube inside the old tube, making a double thick tube.

Are you sure you're not getting pinch flats from running too low air pressure?

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
biknut I thought that about the sidewall to but put a new tire and a thick slime this time and we see how it peforms now.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
maniac I like them tubes your talking about but only seen them in a presta valve so didn't get one,if this slime very thick tube goes flat.I will get one of those that your talking about.thanks

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Using an old tube as a liner like biknut said also helps. The the regular schraeder valve thick tubes are hard to find but are available

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've used Slime for over 20 years, Sliming my own tubes. When you use Slime, you gotta keep it rolling when there's a hole. Pump it up, keep it rolling.
Never ever touch the valve stem earlier than 8 or later than 4. 10 or 2 if possible! :D
If you roll it right and you have a good liner, Slime will seal up to a .125" hole, even a few of em.
Mess? You're doing it wrong, don't take it apart! But a garden hose fixes any Slime mess!

Growing up in the Cambrian area of San Jose in the late 80's there were goatheads everywhere before the 85 freeway was built.
Things would travel from that empty strip of land North and South. I had tubes with a dozen or two punctures that Slime kept going for thousands of miles.
No more patching was the best part, because I was patching 1-5x every 100 miles before I used Slime.
If I ran out of Slime inside the tube I'd just re-Slime it 6-8oz. I rarely have had to remove my wheels and I really like that.
I pedaled over 50,000 miles in San Jose and Los Gatos. I found out bleeding Predator blood green means gotta go gotta go!

Slime doesn't really like cold, but I used it down to 20F in North Dakota for 5000 miles without a tube replacement. Keep it rolling lol
If your bike sits in the sun long, then it can cause the Slime to lose a seal or dozen. Gotta pump it up and start rolling.

Of course a nice rim strip, quality tube, and a tire liner can be very helpful on a rear tire.
Michelin has a new tube, the Protek Max, that pinches holes shut and has it's own fluid inside.

I'll be switching to them myself next time I have to replace a tube, which I don't forsee as being soon! :D

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I have a 26" rear wheel and I keep getting flats.So I bought a new tire and new rim tape.I was just wondering what tube I should get to help have no more flats as easy?I'm open for all your guys opinion.Thanks
The best tube I have found is the Intense DH. It's more like a motorcycle in all around thickness, unlike heavy and thick on the outside thorn-proof tubes.

You put a little slime in one of these and you'll never have a flat again. I've yet to have a flat with one and I haven't run slime in one.

My second favorite thick DH type tube is the Maxxis DH and they come in 24" as well. I did get a flat with the maxxis at Baird's race after picking up 200 goat heads till I added automotive tire sealer and raced the rest of the day with no more flats.

dnut

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Hey scott where do you get them at? I will buy them If I get another flat.I just bought and replaced it with one of the real thick slime ones they say 5 times thicker on the box so we will see.They better work for a while I paid 13 bucks for one of them at wally world.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If I remember correctly, I got them online at Universal Cycles. They were also $13 like 2 years ago when I bought them. They are made for downhill racing so your tires can be run with lower air pressure and they still prevent pinch flats (snakebites). They are really tough tubes.