Tire chains! For you soon to be snowbound types!

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
On advice I once tried wrapping a rope around a back tire, through the spokes.
On snow over ice it flat out did not work.
Good luck with the tires chains!
Will you post a vid????
:)
rc

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I lived in northern CO for several years.

What would keep me off of a bicycle when there is snow on the ground is the cars. Getting turned in to paste by some clown with his 6,000 pound car sliding all over is not on my "to do" list.

For you guys that ride in the snow & ice, I applaud your initiative - just be careful around the idiots with bald summer tires driving dry road speeds.

B.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
On advice I once tried wrapping a rope around a back tire, through the spokes.
On snow over ice it flat out did not work.
Good luck with the tires chains!
Will you post a vid????
:)
rc
Not me! No Way! No how! I moved to Phoenix-ish years ago to get away from the white fluffies. Heat is hot... But you dont have to shovel it! laff

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Hmmmmm, anyone try these out??? Where I live we have a large bicycle path system and when the chinooks bow in it can warm up quickly, im gonna check out any reviews i can find.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Cool find Velo. They're a couple more bucks than pro studded tires, but for those milder days chain's would be easy to pop off instead of wearing out studs on clear pavement.

Just found a review with a vid, that price is per pair! They look a lot more reasonable now.

The review I found is Here

EDIT- Was wrong about the "per pair", the price is for each... just tried to order a set :(

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
laff I started this as a joke but its taking off. :) This picture tells it all. BURRRRrr. You guys go first! Too cold for me! Im heading back to the pool. EDIT: Wonder if thats brandy in the waterbottle???

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
and you can make chains on the cheap with zip ties. wrap a zip tie around the tire and clench it. just alternate the heads, put one head on one side wall, the next head on the other side wall, and they work out pretty well, not as good as studded tires, but better than a bare tire.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2011/11/medium_36a8c29d140bc4bc42d438ddc831a0cb.jpg
I grew up in Chicago and we used that trick on our bmx bikes in winter. The best thing was building insane huge jumps into fresh snow piles and going nuts without breaking bones. We even had a jump on top of a train car into a parking lot one year...Wow! We must have been nuts! I shiver now when it gets below 50 or so...

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
I too also enjoyed many a winter snow jump sessions. never had a box car laying around to rid off of tho lol. this winter im going to try my hand at hill climbing at the local sledding hill this winter. got a 56 tooth rear sprocket, figured i might as well use it for something lol