50 mph ?? (Down hill doesn't count)

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I can say with the help of my buddy Andrew from Kings Sales & Service, I finally hit the 50+ mph mark. My bike was hitting mid forties with a 47 tooth sprocket. Andrew was kind enough to sale me one of his clearance sprockets (Probably the nicest one I've bought so far) a 38 tooth hardened sprocket. It's pretty insane hitting those speeds and flying by cars on the expressway and the look of the peoples faces in the cars are priceless!.fly.
If you do hit these speeds...PLEASE Wear your Full Face Helmet!
For those who haven't seen my bike before, here's what I have:
5.8hp 50cc Morini 2 cycle motor, 6.4 hp ignition and flywheel. Pipelyne tuned pipe, carbon fiber reeds on an aftermarket reed cage and a 38 tooth King's sprocket on a GT LTS frame with the rear suspension locked out.

CMA_Decky

Dec 6, 2008
North SF Bay, CA
Damn that's a nice set up. Some day after my hotpocket and cup of noodle filled college days I'll be able to be able to put something like that together. I was thinking though, has anyone ever tried putting one of these engines on a road bike or are they not tough enough.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've never put a tach on the bike so if I was to guess, I think it would be somewhere in the 13-14k range. I'm going to look thru the manual this weekend.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
I really like that 5.8HP bike you got there Easy Rider! It must be SO nice to go that fast with just the lightweight bicycle!

I wish we could ride or race together!

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Shiloh0,

Man, I hope you guys who want to go for the land speed records on a bike
will do it on a closed course and not out in traffic.

On one of the TV Channels they show this guy who rides his bicycle down steep mountains in some kind of extreme sport challenge. In one video clip they show he's barreling by and the frame head literally breaks loose from the rest of the bike and he goes to the hospital for some time. If I could video capture it I'd put it on UTube and post it here just so others could see a high speed frame failure. ........and I bet his bike WAS built for the extremes he was using it for too. (not something off the shelf from WalMart)

Fortunately for him he didn't have some big 14 ton FREIGHTLINER'S closing on him as he wasn't on the highway.

So, give some thought to your safety. .fly

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
YES !!! That's the one Jason. Geat job finding it ! (^)

About half way thru, that's where you see the frame come unraveled. It hurts everytime I watch it.

It reminds me of what they say about airplane pilots. "there's old pilots & there's bold pilots.....but there's no old-bold pilots". Airplanes have a stall speed, a take off & landing speed, a cruising speed, and a "Don't Exceed speed",
and the pilot who stays within that envelope can usually live to fly another day.

Thanks again Jason.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
any landing that you can crawl away from is a GOOD landing.rotfl
Norman

In that bike wreak the helmet he's wearing isn't for protection but to streamline him to cut through the air better it didn't do a dimes worth of good for him when he bit the bullet. I saw that on the tv he's trying for a down hill land speed record. I'm glad he is doing it so I don't have to.
Norman.bf.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
When I saw the red outfit on that guy and that helment I figured he was wearing one of those Luge outfits. It seems they said something about
that slope being part of some old volcanic area which gave me another tingle too. That's about the nature of the kind of sand on that slope.

All sand ain't the same. Those who have done some sand casting with metal
know about grades of "sharp sand". I can tell ya, it don't all feel the same on your bare feet..

Last edited:

otis

Mar 7, 2010
Canada, Kingston,Ont
i have a grubee 48cc catalyticstyle black pipe already ported but cant reach high rpms what do i do?????????????????????????????? and what does lowering your head do, can i plane,fileand smooth, the ports on the actual head please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

otis

Mar 7, 2010
Canada, Kingston,Ont
i would love someone to tell me where to see a video of these 40-50mph bikes taking off, no pedaling be theres no take off. or can you get a good palance with hih speeds?

ryan 14

Jul 17, 2009
zoo town, mt
wait are we talkin downhill or flat, cause today i hit 42 on flat ive gotten up to 47 downhill
but i almost crapped my pants when i saw a copcycle. thank god for disk brakes

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I really hopped up my first MB build and got some really fast mph out of it but it was scary as all ****......It was a nice TREK mountain bike, good tires,brakes.ect.ect.....But it just felt very dangerous, and I`m a motorcycle drag racer going into the high 7`s and 8. seconds with nitrous....Believe me it was an adrenalin rush for sure.....
Good luck ya speed demons,lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.