V Twin Crankcase. Any Released Yet?????

GoldenMotor.com

krusty1

Feb 12, 2012
Australia
Hi guys
i have seen a couple of prototype v twin engines im just wondering if anyone has actually sucessfuly made one and has released it yet as i would like to buy the crankcase and build it out of 2 80cc motors.
auflg

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
That would be really neat if someone would make it happen!

I bet "Joker" has one cooked up in their skunkworks... (I'm hoping they do...)

I think it would also be cool if someone came out with an upright twin crankcase that uses the gut from one these china doll motors...

Then, why stop there? 3...4 cylinder? That would be beyond fantastic!!!!

Who is going to be first?

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
I just found someone who built a twin engine china doll setup!!

It is on another motorized bike forum... it is pretty cool tho. they just built mounts for two engines, chained to a common jackshaft like assembly, which sent the power to rear wheel.

They used really wide cranks too...

I guess a well designed v-twin case might be a bit slimmer!

I hope one of these motorized bike mavericks will make something they can sell to us!

.wee.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
So this would be a China Girl version of the Suzuki RG500? I'm familiar with the Ariel Square Four (U-four) engine but how much demand would there be for a two stroker? This is possible.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

It is on another motorized bike forum... it is pretty cool tho. they just built mounts for two engines, chained to a common jackshaft like assembly, which sent the power to rear wheel.

I hope one of these motorized bike mavericks will make something they can sell to us!

.wee.
how about a link to that?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

.wee.
I saw a pic of a red bike like that somewhere. The HT motors were mounted side by side.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I saw a pic of a red bike like that somewhere. The HT motors were mounted side by side.
That bike "Double Trouble" was made by Big Boy Cycles who are members here
and bought it to the Oct 2011 Grange race.
www.bigboycycles.com

No one is ever going to sell a V Twin crankcase for a price that most
people could afford.
The CNCed V twin crankcase is now only being sold as a complete bike
for $12,500 if they are going to be available.......

The Joker Machine guys are too smart to ever get involved in such a
foolish project. :D

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
the double trouble cycle you described is not on their website. i want to see it.
It's the first one on their page, the rear facing red one, with the lathe in the background. It's still under construction in the pic, and has only the right side motor installed.

Last edited:

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
Would somebody please make a twin cyclinder China Doll engine? Take my money!!!

how about a link to that?
I hope I don't get in trouble for posting a link to a another motorized bike forum (this feels treasonish).... But I thought this was really kinda neat...

http://motorizedbikeforum.the-talk.net/t264-inline-twin-cylinder-2-stroke-chinese-bicycle-engine

It shows two bikes, the red one looks suspiciously difficlut to pedal, and the blue one may have normalish cranks.

I wonder if having the cranks on two china doll engine firing 180 degrees apart would be smoother....

I bet they have a hefty clutch pull... but maybe there are ways around that.

It is not quite the engine setup I'm after though....

I really want a single case, one clutch, and two cylinders, using as many internal parts from a china doll engine as possible.

Thoughts anyone?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
someone built a prototype v-twin chinadoll, like a year or two ago, but I dont know if anything more ever came of it or not. I know that I havent seen it for sale yet. i could see paying about 300 or so for something like that. of course, someone will come along and say, "300 isnt enough, i will pay 5 or 6" and that will screw it for the rest of us.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
None of the links have shown a V-Twin that I have looked at, not on this thread so far anyway. They have all been U-Twin configurations (two crankshafts coupled using a common drive). I have been looking around trying to make up my mind what to make for a two cylinder and for a "benchmark" I have been looking at Saito RC airplane engines. They make V-Twins around 52cc that go for about $1K. These are offset journal, not fork and blade type.

So when you say $300 is that for a complete V-Twin engine ready to bolt in or a crankcase and the gears, shafts, bearings, chains, whatever to make your own U-Twin and you provide the two motors for the rest? I could imagine the later might come close if the case were an investment cast part but the first few machined prototypes would be a lot more.

To still be a Moped the base engine would need to be 25cc otherwise it's a motorcycle, at least in Michigan.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I based my $300 price off what the kits and engines cost now. guess i was thinking chinese prices.......anyway, do a search on here for v-twin prototype.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
someone built a prototype v-twin chinadoll, like a year or two ago, but I dont know if anything more ever came of it or not. I know that I havent seen it for sale yet. i could see paying about 300 or so for something like that. of course, someone will come along and say, "300 isnt enough, i will pay 5 or 6" and that will screw it for the rest of us.
They only want to sell the engine as a complete bike for $12,500

$300 is an uneducated price estimate, try more like $1000 if made in quantity.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
i think of it like this. many of the people who build the china kits are not made of money. for a grand, you can get a decent used car. i know i could never afford to spend a grand on an engine for my bike. there might be some people who could afford that and want to spend that kind of money on their bikes, but for the market as a whole, i dont see that kind of price being considered reasonable by most.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
and im not saying that the engine wouldnt be worth a grand, or that its not a reasonable price compared to what it costs to make it. i understand all that, im just saying that many people could not afford to spend that kind of money on their bikes. which is probably why these engines arent being mass produced.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have close to 10,000 miles on one of my machines. same engine on the bike and all. Run's better than day one. Everyday that I ride it is pure profit. There is nothing cheap about it. I do not have one single thing from the likes of say Walmart on it. Save the throttle cable I had to custom solder. Nothing shows any signs or any issues ether. The ol adage you get what you pay for is O so O true.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Derbi, Merini, Bizeta all command high prices in the market (and it's highly likely that I mis-spelled them!). I think that a v-twin or u-twin either two or four stroke would appeal to a different market segment than the kit engines just like those three engines so a low volume and high price tag would not be a bad thing. Not everyone would have one because of cost but also because the cost of maintaining the thing would be higher. Sort of like buying an old Saab. I can't afford the car because I can't afford the repairs.

The Lifan 250cc v-twin goes for about a grand with shipping and that is China built in volume and includes a five speed tranny. Perhaps somewhere around the $600+ mark in volume for a 100cc if the market would support it? Who makes the Varadaro 125cc v-twin? Is that the same engine as the Rebel 125cc v-twin? Those are both UK engines that were not marketed in the US. Find the China manufacturer and perhaps a bulk purchase could be negotiated?

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
[/QUOTE]
Sort of like buying an old Saab. I can't afford the car because I can't afford the repairs.
[/QUOTE]

Lol want to buy a '99 Audi A4?

Got one for sale! can be yours for only $4500...

most expensive car ever to own! I have owned it for about four years now (that is hows stupid I am) and it has cost me between 1700-2600 each year... I almost spent more in repairs than I did on the original purchase!