spoking a wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
I'm *attempting* to lace the wheels for my henderson build (link in signature) and I've tried 24 inch spokes, and I was able to get one side laced between a puch moped hub and a 26 inch wheel, but the the other won't cooperate.

But I have some 26 inch 11g spokes, and I was wondering if I could use those, but just choose a different crossing pattern? Thanks!

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
There's no such thing as 24" spokes or 26" spokes. Spokes are measured in MM and they're cut for each wheel/hub combo and cross pattern. If the spokes you have don't fit your application, you need to get new ones that will.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
I'll try to make this more clear.

Every rim manufacturer has different specs for their rims and even differences between each line of their rims. Hubs also come in a range of diameters, many hubs even having different flange diameters on the same hub. Because of that, there can be no standard length for spokes. Just because you have spokes that came off of a 26" wheel doesn't mean they will automatically fit on another 26" wheel. It doesn't work that way.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Haha! I did it! 10 gauge spokes. in a cross 3 pattern. Found a page on instructables (what isn't on there?) And got it done in 2 hours. My dad might true it for me tomorrow when I'm in school.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Wondering what I wiill learn when trying to lace my first wheels. Have 2 workman wheels off a workman trike that I`m need to lace the rims and spokes to a pair of bicycle-engines.com hd rear hubs with 4 sealed brgs in each hub and left hand threads with freewheel adapter and 44 tooth sprocket and includes right hand threads on both sides for pedal side and left side for included drum brake.

Will use one of relaced rear wheels for my Stretch Cruiser w/140cc Honda Clone. The workman trike 26" front wheel with drum brake will go on the front of the Stretch with springer fork.

Have a old 24" workman trike, frame cut in half, no front wheel, pd $15. Pd $20 for the nice hd orange trike 26" = awsum deals! Hoping sometime , use the 24" on the 26" frame, cut the seat post off, install recumbent seat and smaller front wheel. Then mod the rear bolt on axle mount plates to lower and lengthen is some. Power will be via 4 stroke.

Also maybe one of the hubs like laced into the rear wheels for the stretch could chain drive the inner axle ends for dual wheel drive. Use freewheel sprockets on the right hand outer threads. drive the left hand threaded 44 tooth free wheel with the motor.

Ron ...cvlt1

PS Charley, did not intend to hi jack your thread, sorry my bad. I seem to get carried away. will delete if you like. PM me.

Last edited: