Cheap Front Suspension?

GoldenMotor.com

navifty

Oct 22, 2011
world
I'm looking for feedback on experiences with inexpensive front suspension forks. I've found some springer forks on Amazon for $40-50, while I can get a used Mongoose with front suspension off craigslist for about the same price. Do the springer forks actually offer much if any suspension, or are they just for aesthetics?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have used a lot of cheap forks on my pedal mountain bikes and motorized bikes.
I bought a springer fork for for $20 at a swap meet and it worked great.
I have also bought cheap mountain bike forks with both threaded and threadless steerers. You look for the same things on all of them. They should be unbent and have little play in them. Good luck.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
the mongoose probably has the right size steerer tube for you, and the shock fork is probably better than a springer... but a springer has THE LOOK.

Is that the LOOK you want?

ANY front suspension is better than rigid when encountering sidewalk aprons and tall gutter lips. You can run a more suitable amount of air pressure in your front tire.

Good luck
rc

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
My dial-a-ride 1950 Huffy has an adjustable front fork spring system. It's the biggest and heavyest front fork I have ever seen. As soon as I get the bike together I will report on how well it works. I also have a cruiser with an aftermarket Schwin springer. It works somewhat but it isn't real soft. Years ago I had a Monark Motorbike that had a great springer fork. I would love to find another on of those.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Does anyone know if these Suzuki K10 style forks will work on a WalMart Genesis Onyx 29er ? If not, any other suggestion would be welcome. The more I work with and ride my bikes with 26" tires, the more I want one of those big dudes. At 6'2" and 280 lbs. they're kinda cramped.

MHF