Wireless Brakes

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And someone will call it "progress".
It's just like the dome light circuits in cars today. We used to have simple little door jamb switches that worked. Now they're computerized and so trouble prone that you either pay a dearlership to fix it, or take the bulbs out because they won't turn off.
Yeah, progress, right?
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yes, technology used in the proper places and correctly is wonderful, but to use technology for the sake of using it sometimes is pretty dumb (and in this case, may be dangerous).

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
"Its current configuration enables the cruiser bike to brake within 250 milliseconds. This means that at a speed of 30 kilometers per hour, the cyclist has to react two meters before reaching the dangerous situation", craziness... Brakes of today, are just fine. Wireless brakes will only cause more deaths. There should be completely foolproof. That 3% is big when your on a bicycle. If the brake fails 3 times going down a mountain, it may not be able to stop u after the 3rd fail. Especially if its 3 in a row. I'll stick with my rim brakes and my e brake that i call...my foot. :) As long as your shoes are in good shape, your foot will never fail u, wireless brakes will.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
my friend had a lincon ls, with the 3.9 liter v8 and also ezuipped with the wireless throttle, and well lets just say it was defective. could of ost my friend or someone else there lives. my friend tells me one day hes goin to walgreens, we wer at work(auto parts), so itsa sunday and very slow, also my friend was excited cause he had just installed a billet grill inwhich no one at the time had, so he had a g'd out ride and something noone else had in the naieghborhood. so i step outside to have a smoke, and look over, and my friend is walkin back, the look on his face, i thought he was gonna hit me or something, then as he walks past me i see his car through the warehouse wall, and in a million pieces. he went to leave and the throttle had gotten stuck wide open. outta instinct he just kept holding the brakes insead of throwing it in nuetral and through the warehouse it went, brand new to freshly smashed. 3 months later and 27 computer codes later the car was fsh again, but not the same. maybey it was meant to be. so much for wireless throttle, and so he found out, hes not the only one with that problem, and i know ya need so many incidents to call a recall, but cmon, people lives are at stake, and still no recall. thanks ford!!!

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Just wait until some punk figures out what frequency the wireless is running at, monitors the packets and decodes how it sends the signal, and then makes a prank device that clamps the front brakes fully when it's in range.

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
My Dad always told me "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I will always trust my cable brakes before I trust that thing.

and yes I have to agree with Pilotgeek, it will just be a matter of time before someone hacks it and kills someone.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave

There is a ole engineering constant that will never be surpassed. "The more complicated you make something, the more susceptable you make it to break down!" This is, that one step beyond.

.shft.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Ducati uses a wireless throttle on some models. When Ducati begins using wireless bakes, I will consider them.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
My front brakes went wireless once, talk about a close call with the front of a car. This is by far one of the dumbest things someone could possibly invent. Why would you risk your life going from dependable cable brakes to a (never know whats gonna happen motor/servo)? It's bad enough putting wireless throttles and such on cars, but bicycle brakes, really?

Gen3Benz

May 22, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Ducati uses a wireless throttle on some models. When Ducati begins using wireless bakes, I will consider them.
Wireless? As in radio freq controlled? Havent heard of that on any vehicle.
Cableless yes, but not wireless.
Every vehicle today has a motor controlling the throttle with a variable resistor on the pedal. Lots of cars have electronic brakes with no master cylinder/booster and no direct foot operation of a piston.

I like anything that like this that get people thinking of new ideas and technologies.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
That's what I meant cableless. And you'd be wrong about every car now having cableless throttle bodies and no brake pistons. If I'm right Toyota still uses them aswell as Ford. And I've worked on cars with the cableless throttle bodies, brakes and etc. And I can tell you they are not always reliable.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wholly stuff Batman. Who thought some thing like this was a good idea?

I have a theory that hair dressers, architects and engineers like to show their stuff and spread their wings to show what they can do but then Carol comes home with an insane haircut or we ride in an elevator not safe enough for cattle. (or ride in a car with wireless brakes)

If ya look at a modern bicycle, most of it was invented in the 17 and 1800's. Steam powered MBs came around 1869. Reinventing the wheel sort of deal. The cool part of what folks here do is simplify and re-purpose existing products and parts.

Sorry for the rant. Was just now trying (and I do mean trying) to fix the electric windows in Carol's car. You could hoist a good sized jib with that tiny motor and ridiculously over complicated reduction gearing.

I am big time, all for building a better mouse trap, (one that houses a mouse in the comfort of which he would like to become accustomed to) but one that actually works and is not an exercise to demonstrate the engineer's abilities!

LOL, did I mention I was frustrated with an engineer's handy-work?

Gen3Benz

May 22, 2009
Phoenix AZ
That's what I meant cableless. And you'd be wrong about every car now having cableless throttle bodies and no brake pistons. If I'm right Toyota still uses them aswell as Ford. And I've worked on cars with the cableless throttle bodies, brakes and etc. And I can tell you they are not always reliable.
Sorry not every car made, but most manufacturers have a model without a cable. Cheapo models still use cables to keep costs down.
I think only Mercedes and Toyota use brake-by-wire. I dont work at a benz dealer so i cant really chime in on the reliability of those braking systems.

Nothing is always reliable. But you have to keep the technology progressing or we would still be stuck in the stone age.
I myself hate getting a car in my shop older than 1996, but thats just me. Although I do enjoy the LS3 powered '69 camaros.

Last edited:

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
It's kinda funny but looking at where we are headed sterling engines and steam power could be a progression. Why have we stopped progressing with such things they are amazing creations and they are rapidly being lost because nobody thinks they are useful anymore.

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
My front brakes went wireless once, talk about a close call with the front of a car. This is by far one of the dumbest things someone could possibly invent. Why would you risk your life going from dependable cable brakes to a (never know whats gonna happen motor/servo)? It's bad enough putting wireless throttles and such on cars, but bicycle brakes, really?
the wireless throttle worked so well for toyota!!!!!

fix it enough and you will BREAK it..

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
No offense to any engineers or designers but some of them just leave me scratching my head asking " what were they thinking ? wireless brakes ? "........ in this case I think common sence is not a common problem.