My First Stretch Cruiser Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
This thread is to post updates and pictures for my first bike build. I am starting with a Firmstrong Urban Deluxe. I will be mounting a 66cc black motor from Zoombicycles.

I will post updated pictures once the motor mounting is underway.

Attachments

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Nice bike, I seen my first stretch cruiser this weekend in person. Totally gonna be my next build but I wanna go with a big motor, a morini would be sweet. The one thing that looks hard with a build like this is where the chain is on the pedal side is. Have to be mounted high. Good luck man, stoked to see the engine on that bad boy.

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
Well - I've got the motor on. Here are a few pics of my progress so far.

I had some issues with the rear wheel wheel - making the sprocket fit over the coaster break dust cover (I had to grind the hole bigger) - then I had to bend the brake arm to avoid hitting the bolts.

I also had to play with the rear wheel to avoid having the chain touch it.

p.s. - I have no idea why the pictures are upside down - they appear normal on my computer before uploading them.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
After I got the rear wheel finally done (before I discovered the chain issue) I was able to mount the motor on the bike.

I used the motor mounting technique seen here - http://motorbicycling.com/f6/notice-stretch-cruiser-mounts-9582.html

I thought it might be easy based on the pictures - but it took a considerable amount of custom work to do it.

In the end, the motor is mounted nicely, but it sure was not easy, and definitely not something I would have done for my first build . . . . hint, hint, for those considering making a stretch their first bike build.

Attachments

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
In the end, it was a great experience, although I think I aged a few years in 1 day as I stressed out about all the custom work that did not seem to work properly. Also, this bike is not really meant for a motor and it seemed like there was 1 thing after another that was going wrong or not working.

I love the bike!

I still want to get a chrome tank, chrome head lamp and a chrome accessories kit for the motor.

Plus, I need to cut part of my rear fender so I can put it back on - but not have it go down into the chain area.

So . . . what do you guys think of my new ride?

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Looks sweet! All the work(&mods) is worth it in the end, eh?

Had her out for a boot yet? You'll definately want some braking oomph, those rear drums aren't built for 20+Mph, heh heh.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Nice build, you inspire me for my stretch build that will hopefully happen some day lol. Glad to see it all worked out man.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
I am planning upgrading my wheels to a custom built set from blow by u - http://blowbyu.ca/169001.html

Upgraded sprocket with hub adaptor and both front and rear drum brakes.

The cost of the wheels is more than the bike and motor combined, so I need to save up a little.
Those look awesome, I don't know if they would be worth it on a cranbrook but I willing to try lol. If I could find a place that sold just cruiser frames I'd get these wheels.