What Brakes for S6-C Morini

GoldenMotor.com

ridethefire122

Jul 7, 2011
Harvard MA
Hi guys,

I'm new to this (motorbicycles) so please bear with me. I plan on mounting a S6-C Morini motor to a 1970s 20" Schwinn Stingray (I know its going to be difficult). Due to the engine being as powerful as it is (11.3 hp), I'd kinda like being able to stop the thing. Currently, the stingray has an internal coaster brake 3 speed hub in the rear and a rim brake in the front. I've been looking into converting the rear to an internal 3spd drum brake hub but I keep running into one limiting factor: the rear wheel has 28 spokes and I can't find any internal 3spd drum brake hubs for a 28 spoke wheel. I'd like to keep the original wheels on the bike.

This being said, I have a few questions and I'd really appreciate the help.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a braking combination on the front and rear? Can I fit disc brakes on the 20" rims*? And if so, do you have any suggestions for calibers and discs? *one rim is a Schwinn S7 (front) and the other is a Scwhinn S2 (rear).

2. I know this is the brakes section, but do you guys think the 1970s Strumey Archer 3 spd hub will hold up to the morini's power? If not, do you ahve any suggestions for a 28 spoke hub?

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

-Brent

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Brent, I think you need to address each aspect of your build as an individual project.
1. If you are going to run a 11hp engine I feel you need disc brakes front and rear only.
2. Do you really need gears with that engine?
3. are 20" wheels going to give you the ride you are looking for? how is the terrain, asphault, dirt, smooth, full of pot holes

one thing we did with my brothers build, we ran a disc brake on the front, cantilever brake on the rear, and ran this with a coaster rear brake. he has 3 brakes, works good

I run an Avid BB7 caliper on the front and Hayes mx3 on the rear (I haven't upgraded the rear yet) both with 203mm rotors. I run the mechanical brakes so I can use one lever for the braking (right side) and the left side for the clutch. No coaster brake with a freewheel rear hub.

Last edited: