Race gas?

GoldenMotor.com

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
Ok, here is one for you guys...
Super here in Callie is now way over then $4 a gallon! VP ( motocross racing fuel, supercross racing fuel ) has a fuel that runs just under $90(+tax) for 5 gallons that I'm think'n about try'n in two of my bikes. The reason why I want to try race gas is because I think both bikes run a little rich and would gain from oxygenated fuel. One is a 4 stroke mid-size'd bike that I ride an average of 2 gallons of fuel through in a month and the other is one of my 2 stroke mo-bikes that I maybe put a gallon in every month. WHAT DO YOU THINK? Will I gain any performance or am I just throw'n my money away? Even better, if it does work now I'm stuck pay'n over $18 a gallon every month on two bikes! Drink'n on a Thursday, love to hear your .02...

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
racing gas is for hi compression or hi boost engines. if you don't have detonaiton [spelled wrong] pinging or your compression is below 170psi its a waste, although air cooled engines run cooler with 93+ than 87. a good thing to run cooler. hi compression 190+psi two strokes last about 15 min on cheep 87 gas. check your psi with throttle wide open. 20% race will make it smell good and lasts 5x longer and wont hurt a thing except your wallet. but the cool factor will be
much higher

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
well your right, cool is subjective, could be a pocket protector in the right circles, or a lear jet in some other. i think were closer to the pocket protector cool than the jet set. that said tell us more about cleaning the motor and the plug fouling. i'm alway's open to new info. won't be the first or last time i've been wrong. thanks dennis

Arnie

Dec 25, 2010
Wrightstown,New Jersey
race gas has lead and doesn't build up like carbon does from regular gas, fouling the plug is from the lead and oil mix, I lasted about 4 miles until it fouled my plug.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
26, I run ms 103 in every bike i own its oxygenated costs me 12.50 per gal and arnie my cr 250 has only ran c12 in it since new and i have never fouled a plug or had any carbon or lead buildup 26, I highly recomend the oxygenated ms103 theese bikes burn so little gas esp if your doing this as a hobby that it shouldnt hurt the wallet too bad.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
also 26er what 5 gallon pail costs 90 bucks? what vp fuel are you talkin about? usually costs me around 60 to fill my 5 gal @12.50

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
here in calif 104 is unleaded, although i remember lead. the hippies are outlawing lead sinkers for fishing and ammo at the gun ranges usmc included

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
if you want to lean it out without rejeting, mix in some E-85 a little at a time untill you get it right. much cheaper than race gas.
Down the street from where I live is a motorcycle place called MotoTech. One of the first things they were talking about was how bad ethanol is in a two stroke. It seems it separates from the mix and goes to the bottom of whatever it's in. If it's a carb bowl the ethanol begins to attack the aluminum causing it to deteirorate and turn into a crumbly pile of crap. I worked on a USAC Midget racer and one of the things you had to look for was rotten fuel fittings. You'd grip the fitting with a pair of pliers, squeeze and if the fitting crushed it was no good and you replaced it. I got real good at rebuilding braided steel hoses. It also turns out the overseas manufacturers still do not use alcohol resistant seals in their motors and Mototech spends a lot of time replacing blown seals. I'm thinking that's the problem with seals in these bikes.

There's a gas station that has Trick racing fuel from a pump. It's about $5 a gallon and 110 octane. With my Puch cylinder head it might be a good idea to change.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
We have Trick down here in San Diego as well, from the pump. Great if you're running high-compression engines.

Down the street from where I live is a motorcycle place called MotoTech. One of the first things they were talking about was how bad ethanol is in a two stroke. It seems it separates from the mix and goes to the bottom of whatever it's in. If it's a carb bowl the ethanol begins to attack the aluminum causing it to deteirorate and turn into a crumbly pile of crap. I worked on a USAC Midget racer and one of the things you had to look for was rotten fuel fittings. You'd grip the fitting with a pair of pliers, squeeze and if the fitting crushed it was no good and you replaced it. I got real good at rebuilding braided steel hoses. It also turns out the overseas manufacturers still do not use alcohol resistant seals in their motors and Mototech spends a lot of time replacing blown seals. I'm thinking that's the problem with seals in these bikes.

There's a gas station that has Trick racing fuel from a pump. It's about $5 a gallon and 110 octane. With my Puch cylinder head it might be a good idea to change.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

for 5 bucks a gallon heck ya you should