Bairdco inspired stretched bobber

GoldenMotor.com

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
After the Los Angeles club ride in Venice a couple weeks ago i got the nerve to try the baird/norm backwards motor experiment.
so i ported away spun the jug and piston made a new pipe and intake.
at first it would not start then i remembered an ol baird post regarding the intake and made a new one sloping further down and she fired right up and has been running real good for a couple test runs.

i also welded a 1 1/8 steerer tube to the frame to use some forks i had to replace the 1inch stock bike steerer.

after seeing bairdco's bike backward motor i said what the heck .

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
nice job! let us know what you think, performance-wise after it's all broken in. seems like the two bikes i have with the backwards set-up are faster and run better than stock, even without all the mods.

if you remember my first bike, the 24", it had the stock carb and pipe, and it was/is still a really fast bike.

also, you'll probably want to get some header wrap for the pipe. i've got a bunch of melted shoes and burnt pants from mine...:)

also, about the intake. my first bike has the stock intake on it, but it's been cut down to less than an inch long. with the engine backwards, the port points down, so even though my carb sits level, the fuel still needs to travel upwards into the engine. once it's running it's great, but that bike always was a pain to start.

Last edited:

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
(quote) also, you'll probably want to get some header wrap for the pipe. i've got a bunch of melted shoes and burnt pants from mine...:)

Boy that's for sure. I cant tell you how many times ive burnt mt leg on my pipe

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
if i wanted to run the cylinder backwards which by the way is totally cool !! do i have to get new rings and break it in all over or could you just spin the cylinder 180 and retorque
glenn

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california