what tubes?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i get sunlite thorn-resistant tubes from a bike shop down the street.

whatever tubes you find, make sure they are either for 2.3 tires, or that they have a range that includes it (like 2.125-2.4)

if the tube's too small, it won't expand enough to fill the tire, and your wheel will have a "hop" in it. usually at the valve stem where the tube is thicker it'll have a low spot.

on a regular cruiser you wouldn't really notice, but at 30mph you'll definitely feel it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A undersized tub is a blow out waiting to happen too in my opinion and I have seen my friends do it growing up when I was young..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
When I got a nice 26x2.7 nice steel bead down hill tire and some under paid kid in a bike shop hands me a undersized tube it really irritates me. Even into my teen years I avoided them. I saw my friends get blow outs when we were going across town and we teased them relentlessly it was mandatory too. They did not have enough pot money and had to jones about it to buy a new tire and tube plus walk the dog home.

Now that business about a bicycle at uber speeds...;)rotfl

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i know what you mean. the crappiest bike store on the planet ("two wheels one planet" in costa mesa) tried that on me. the guy said the 2.125 would be fine on my 2.3's, and i told him the reason i'm buying new tubes is because i know for a fact they don't, since my bike is hopping down the street right now.

he told me my rims were probably out-of-true.

idiots.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
i know what you mean. the crappiest bike store on the planet ("two wheels one planet" in costa mesa) tried that on me. the guy said the 2.125 would be fine on my 2.3's, and i told him the reason i'm buying new tubes is because i know for a fact they don't, since my bike is hopping down the street right now.

he told me my rims were probably out-of-true.

idiots.
If either one of us could have been a fly on the wall for those conversations lol. I know I can get pretty cynical when I let some of those kids know what time of day I think it islaff

For the record many of my buddies in the day were airing up for a stiff ride we were racing..