Springer Strong Enough?

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I was thinking of putting a V Brake on the springer fork. Is the fork strong enough? Or, should I just wait and go with a disk brake...if that can be done to a springer?

Terry

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
venice motorbikes (a member here) makes a pretty cool adapter for fitting disc brakes to a springer

I have heard v-brakes cause a lot of flex when used with a springer

personally, I use a S/A X-FD drum brake with mine and it works very nicely

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
venice motorbikes (a member here) makes a pretty cool adapter for fitting disc brakes to a springer

I have heard v-brakes cause a lot of flex when used with a springer

personally, I use a S/A X-FD drum brake with mine and it works very nicely
Interesting and timely thread since just today I removed the V brake assembly from the front of a donor mountain bike and am preparing to mount it on the Schwinn springer fork on my 51 Schwinn cantilever. Fles, eh? That could be. I'm going to try it anyway since I have no front brake otherwise and can not really afford a drum front wheel, which is ideally what I'd prefer. Now I'm curious and wonder if this will work. It will be awhile before I know... a week or so. Here's hoping...
SB

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
I like the seat mounting . Is that a piece of tubing or a solid bar? I'm a little on the heavy side and those seats hurt my, you know what.

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
I guess I got off topic huh, didn't look at the dates. guess I'll find someone else to ask about making my seat more heavy duty

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
The main post is the seat post that I cut and welded and the support post is 1/2in tubing. Its held up with no problems at all. This another seat post I mount I did on another build. I cut the top off the seat post and welded it to a metal plate that is welded from underneath on four sides- very strong but no adjustability. Makes the bike feel so much more comfortable though.

Attachments