Turn Signals

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I had an idea for turn signals, front and back, on my Dyno Roadster. What I was thinking was a 14" piece of flat polished stainless steel. On each end would be a LED light for turn signal only. In the middle would be a LED tail light. That of course would be the back.

In the front would be basically the same thing but with a LED headlight. I think I would need 2 LED flashers for the turn signals. One for each side. The switch is a problem for me. The way I am picturing it is flip the switch left for left turns. The middle position would be off. Flip the switch to the right would be for right turns.

The turn signals that I have seen for bikes have everything enclosed in one housing. I don't want that. I want more separation between the lights. All lights will run off a 12v motorcycle/ATV battery.

Now, I'm open for suggestions!

Last edited:

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Howdy, Fulltimer,
Actually, the worst part of turn signals for me has been...
...REMEMBERING TO TURN THEM OFF!!!
Seriously though, I don't see why you think you need 2 flasher units, unless I'm misreading something. The flasher goes between your power supply (batt?) and the lights so that whatever side is activated runs through the flasher and then to the lights. I used 4 baby bee lights from bikeworldUSA.com and a flasher and LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com. However, Save yourself some $$$ and stay with a high wattage (7-9)signal lights from an auto parts store. On these little lights the LED's did not show up as bright as regular bulbs.
I just suffered a computer virus that made me re-install my operating system and files and I'm not quite up to snuff yet or I would send pics of my lights.
The other thing is, that I have a handlebar mounted--light, horn, turn sig. switch to activate everything. So I have no problems with switching.
You are wise to have turn signals. I found out that hand jestures (signals) are OK but not for oncoming traffic when you are in a situation that requires both hands on the handlebar/and controls. SUCKS to those behind you as you are already in front of them and they can go pound sand. The poor schmuck in front of you has no clue unless you have turn signals.
Just as soon as I can, I will get pics/links and wiring diagrams if you wish.
Heck, even if you don't wish, someone else may wish.
WC

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wayne C. Yes, please share your schematics and photos. I think making yourself highly visible is a very good idea. I now use front and rear running lights, have a headlight on a different circuit and a brake light which comes on when I activate the front brake. Turn signals would be a good thing.
SB

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Pics and info would be great. I don't know why I was thinking 2 flasher! The tail light that I will be using is the one from my trike. It has either 24 or 27 LEDs in it and is very bright. Lights up the road real good! With a regular 12v the battery drain won't be an issue.

Terry

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
hmm... I operated an independent wrecker service fer years o.o

goldarn punk kids and their motorbikes *shakes fist*