need some help from the veterans!!!

GoldenMotor.com

jhill44

Apr 15, 2010
MAINE
just got the micargi jaos 3.0 to the house and constructed and taking a quick glance i have noticed the wide tires....wondering if i should look into finding a skinnier rear tire bc of chain rubbing?
also thinking about how to mount the sprocket...heard i could just weld it on the 68 spoke wheels but i am alittle anal about not being able to possibly get a custom sprocket made for the bike in the future, so i think welding it would be more trouble then just drilling a few holes to line up and bolt it on...has anyone tried this? how did it work if you did....
i also see some threads about using some different chain than the 415 heavy duty....number 10 from tractor supply store? i have an 80cc engine i am mounting on this micargi and was wondering if people have used the number 10 and how its held up...
hope i can get some good advice and look forward to hearing to some people!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
DO NOT WELD THE SPROCKET TO THE HUB!!! Did your kit not come with the attachment pieces? There are custom sprocket adapters available but if installed correctly the kit parts, sometimes referred to as a "rag joint' will work just fine.
I've personally not heard of #10 chain, as far as what is used for a motorized bicycle is concerned. If you want to replace the kit supplied chain, #415, then search for #41 industrial chain available at many Ace hardware stores, Grainger and Tractor Supply.
As for replacing your wide rubber. I would install the engine, sprocket and chain tensioner, if used, first then see if you have tire/chain interference before investing in slimmer tires. The wide cruiser tires will afford you a softer, smoother ride so keep them if possible.
Tom

Last edited: