speed

GoldenMotor.com

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
hi guys, I'm on the waiting list for one of sportscarpats worksman bordtrack frame kits. I am getting a whole heap of parts ready for this. Here's a list of what I am going to have:

cns carb
66cc grubee slant head
fat cat expansion pipe
40t sprocket
Iridium sparkplug
magnecore wire & boot
sportscarpat's intake

and possibly a billet head
also the engine will be ported

what kind of speed/power gain do you think I will get.
feel free to share experiences with these parts.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
FWIW, with a 44t sprocket my 26" wheel bike goes 30 mph at 7500 rpm checked the other day with my GPS and Tiny Tach. That high rpm will eat that motor pretty quick I have a feeling. I have my engine out now installing a Sick Bike Parts shifter kit. Very nice kit.

With a 40t you are still going to be over 6000 at 30 mph. A 4 tooth reduction is about 10%. 10% of 7500 = 750. So that should put you at about 6750 at 30 mph if my figuring is close. That is still awful high to expect the motor to live.

Jim

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
with a 40t, i'm guessing 35, tops. about the same as if everything was stock, you'll just get there faster.

you can do all the performance mods in the world, but if you don't have the right gearing, you ain't gonna go any faster.

my motto is (based on my experience,) for top speed, get the smallest sprocket that can push you.

Last edited:

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
i suppose it depends on how much you weigh.....i have a very similar set up to what you are going to be running and im still only getting 20-25 mph WOT....of course i weigh 250 lbs back basket included......all that extra weight doesnt help the motor perform any better and honestly when i hear my poor motor snorking out exhaust fumes i feel so much pity for it because im asking it to do a lot. namely haul my fat butt to work and back everyday......of course i havent tried moving down my back sprocket size.....think im gonna change out the stock 44t for a 36t here coming up soon.....just have to make sure it will fit with the double rolled super duty awesomeness of my REGINA 415 chain. because some things just cant handle that kinda POWAH.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i don't believe it matters how much a person weighs, unless it's so much that the bike can't support the rider's weight. or they're so big that wind resistance comes into play.

weight will affect acceleration, but given a long enough run, a 250lb person and a 135lb person will get the same top speed, if all other factors are the same.

i think no matter what you add onto one of these motors, the limitations still lie within the motor itself. a good exhaust and carb will help it a lot, but it's the same old story of the "our new bolt on muffler will give you a 15HP boost" B.S. you see with aftermarket car parts.

i'm not saying you shouldn't get that expansion chamber or that race carb, i'm just saying you should be realistic about it. you're starting with a less than 3HP motor. adding a pipe ain't gonna get you 5HP. just ask a racecar builder how hard it is to get those few extra horses...

it's too bad no one is doing any dyno testing on all the available products so we can see what we're actually getting.

unless the HP can be significantly raised, gearing is the only way to get a higher top speed.

this is how i see it.

you start with an engine that claims 2.5 HP.
port, polish, deck, and clean that thing out till it actually has 2.5HP.
then add the expansion chambers and carbs to help it use that 2.5HP. (and if you're lucky, you might squeeze a tiny bit more out of it.)
the key here, is making it all work nice and smooth together.

then gear it right for you. if you wanna go fast, go with the smallest sprocket that'll still pull you.
if you wanna cruise, get something midrange, so it won't rev-out, and it'll still pull you up those hills.
if you wanna do wheelies and beat cars off the line, get a big sprocket.

none of what i typed is scientifically proven as fact, but it works like this in my experiences.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have a cns carburetor, a 36t sprocket and a fat cat expansion and I get to 38 m/h my weight 235 pounds
That sounds pretty fast. How big is the motor? The fastest I've had mine up to was 34, but it took a tail wind and slight dowhill to do it. A more honest top speed would be around 28 mph with no wind and on a flat.

Mine has 40T, stock exhaust, stock standard carb, and 48cc. I do have aftermarket air cleaner and rejet, NGK BP6HS .030"

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Bite the bullet. Get the SBP shift kit and the expansion pipe.

Your engine will thank youxct2.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
i have pulled un godly amounts of weight with my first motor bike towing a trailer behind me, i would go just as fast as with out the trailer fully loaded. True story even. The only difference is the acceleration was slower. The more you weigh the longer it will take you to get to top speed, the less you weigh the faster you will get their. choose you gearing wisely its what allows for different speeds.......that and being able to get higher and higher rpms out of these things

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I would grab a billet intake or make your own while your at it too dont bother with the gasket use abit of gasket goo do er' up tight let it dry then remove any gasket goo within the intake path.
Have you thought about using that 18mm mikuni carby abit more air flow wouldnt go astray I found that my bike runs a **** of alot betta without a filter no 4 stroking unless I'm just cruising but jeez does it wake it up its probly the extra dirt going into the motor that makes it work so awesome..LOL

handyandy91

Nov 29, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
I have a 66cc flying horse from zoombike. Mounted on a Huffy roadbike with skinny wheels. Running with a normal NT carb, offset intake for tight fit. 44 tooth sproket.
16:1 mix with KLOTZ 2 cycle 87 octane
No mods, not even match the intake or exaust gaskets to openings. I should because there is an easy 3/16" of restriction on both.
I weigh 275+
With only 50 miles on motor
15 miles today at 32-33 mph for 80% of ride. on flat road. Would have gone more but the rains came. :(
I tryed that CNS carb IT SUCKS!!!!!
The NT is much better.
CNS Carb for sale Cheap!!!! $30.00 plus ship

Last edited:

shellshock

Dec 10, 2010
mesa/Arizona
I have all the same exact stuff plus an expansion chamber and right now my bike reads past the 50mph on my old skool speedo.. I had no idea I could even go that fast on one of these bikes.. its not scary at all when you go that fast when im wearing a helmet. ppl think im crazy going that fast on a beach cruiser... hey maybe i am. so much fun when people in cars try to pass you and you just floor it so they stay right next to you.
I have every upgrade on my bike except pull start, cyntrifugal clutch and the little nos bottles... I dont have a dremel to cut the studs off for clutch to spin freely... I also just got a 36 tooth sprocket to replace my 40 thooth sprocket... my bike looks like its on roids!!!