I want to paint my engine

GoldenMotor.com

abbathdoom89

Apr 21, 2010
nj
i am interested in painting my skyhawk engine black. due to the heat emitted by the engine i am wondering if anyone can give me tips on what paint could handle the heat and gasoline

what paint should i buy?????

what are the steps in order to paint my engine???

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
I heard of people using black BBQ grill paint, and it holds up very well. I used duplicolor engine enamel (withstands 500 degrees) on the engine, and duplicolor flame proof I think its called, that can withstand around 2000 degrees, and is ceramic, on the exhaust. It does make the engine look a lot better. Before you paint it, just be sure there is no grease, oil, or any other residue on the metal, and clean it well. Also remember to use masking tape on anyplace you don't want paint, like the intake, and exhaust holes, spark plug hole, etc. Apply it in a few coats, waiting between coats, but read the directions on the can to see what it says. Any auto parts store should have a good choice in high-heat paints.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Hmmmm... use engine paint for a engine... what a concept! (Who woulda thought of that?) laff

Use BBQ paint on the pipe! ;)
I just tried expensive enamel engine paint on the exhaust and it didn't even hold up for 10 minutes! It turned brown and white LOL..I'll hafta try some BBQ paint I guess :)

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
try this stuff brother, i used the 500 f stuff and it held up beautifle on the motor, this has to work great on the exhaust. i had nothing but proffesional results with this paint.its thick and glossy,or flat if you want. just go easy so it dont run but use at least a half of can.... RustOleum.com

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
ive painted several engines black with cheap krylon enamel(not designed for high temps). It never burns off and ive done it on 5 engines.

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Hey tommyboy-

I was checking out your “Chistine” avatar. It’s a dead ringer for a car my ex-brother in law made a while back. Did you buy that off Ebay a couple of years ago from a guy in St. Louis? If it is, how is it holding up? Just curious.