Great Carb Upgrade

GoldenMotor.com

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
Spooky Tooth has an upgraded carburetor that's advertised as a night and day difference in power compared to the stock carbs. I bought it for 25 bucks and I went from 28 mph to over 35 mph. I would say that's a night and day difference.xct2

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I use those carbs too, I like the shut off valve built onto the carb. They are not classified as high performance carbs but they do seem to work better than the ones that come with the china girl kits.

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
The up grade 66cc carbs are truely great! THE BEST BOLT ON! I found two kinds. The "Speed" came from Spooky, and the "NT"s came from BGF. I don't know if one is better, I'd go for price.

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
What about Spooky's CNS carb for $50 they're advertising. Anybody compared this one to the new "NT". Twice the price, but adjustable mix and idle etc.
Like to hear if it's really worth it on a non ported "stock" motor.

Robert

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I just put the NT on mine yesterday and to compare the 2 the NT is the clear winner IMO.....I have rune the CNS and it was ok once ya got it figured out,and it still had some quirks to it....I just slid the carb. onto my intake and away I rode with no problems.....

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Thanks StewartRacing,
A concern of mine of the CNS is that it has an even larger jet size. Most need to reduce fuel compared to air (lean) to eliminate 4 stroking and improve speed and drivability. If I really knew that I could (absolutely) dial in prober mixture, then I'd be interested. The simplicity of the new NT is great, however, I'd be buying into the same design limitations inherant in the NT. Hmmmm. Thanks for your review. The jury is still out.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Thanks StewartRacing,
A concern of mine of the CNS is that it has an even larger jet size. Most need to reduce fuel compared to air (lean) to eliminate 4 stroking and improve speed and drivability. If I really knew that I could (absolutely) dial in prober mixture, then I'd be interested. The simplicity of the new NT is great, however, I'd be buying into the same design limitations inherant in the NT. Hmmmm. Thanks for your review. The jury is still out.
Oh I hear ya.....
If you want more tuneability on your carb. then get the CNS, but I had both and really don`t see any big difference....The NT is 3mm bigger, no primary jet adjustment,limited main jetting system,secondary fuel shut off, bolt on and go...CNS,adj. jetting circuits,,more testntune to get it dialed in and a little finicky,IMO....Hey if ya got the bucks, try them both...They aren`t that expensive.....
Good luck.....Paul....

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Thanks for the clarity Paul.
Jus' remembering the 18mm Mikuni clamp-on that's available out there too for about $65 but you've probably got to change out the pilot and main jets to dial it in also.
More stuff to make ya go hmmmm.
The NT's looking better and better....maybe 'cause the lights getting low and the beer is kickin....Ha.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
LOL....
I just hate a lot of screwing around with carb.`s,I don`t mind some, but chasing a 4stroking motor/carb. drives me crazy....I went for a ride earlier and I could just open the throttle wot and the motor didn`t miss a lick and just hunkered down and took off...No hesitation, breaking up,ect.ect....Stock carb. just makes a whole lotta noise and don`t go nowhere....I have a 14.14 sha Delorto carb. but the cable was way to long and didn`t feel like cutting up my throttle cable YET,lol.....
See ya....

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
I just bolted on manic's billet intake, SBP heavy duty air filter, and the "speed" carb on my motorized bicycle. It' much faster,but I'm having problems with it bogging when i give it gas. If i roll on the throttle real slow it comes out of it. I moved the clip more lean, and that helped, but didn't fix it. The billet intake is straight so the carb sets at more of an angle. Float problem? To much-little gas? Any suggestions ideas would be very much appreciated.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Is that the NT carb.??? Keep on going on the needle, your going in the right direction.....My motor isn`t level either, but I just bolted on and was perfect.....Needle is on the 2nd from the top.....Two 1/4" holes drilled in the filter housing....I probably could go down one(leaner) on the needle but it is safe and runs sweet.....It might be gearing too,I`m at 10/42t and weigh 185 lbs....
Keep us posted....

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
Is that the NT carb.??? Keep on going on the needle, your going in the right direction.....My motor isn`t level either, but I just bolted on and was perfect.....Needle is on the 2nd from the top.....Two 1/4" holes drilled in the filter housing....I probably could go down one(leaner) on the needle but it is safe and runs sweet.....It might be gearing too,I`m at 10/42t and weigh 185 lbs....
Keep us posted....
Yeah, it's the NT that spooky sells. I've tried the clip on all the settings, and it still does it. I put the stock air filter back on it and that helped a little, maybe. I'm going to put the stock intake back on and see what it does. It's not the gearing. It ran fine before, and i'm using stock gears

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Aah ok....I did port match all my ports(int. exh.) and smoothed out and matched my exchange ports too...So that may have helped in my case.....I can wack my throttle open and it just takes off and hauls ass.....And I also did the spark plug mod someone posted here....Splitting the ground strap mod....

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
Ok, so I put the stock intake and air filter back on, and it still has the same problem, so its not the angle of the carb. It ran fine with the old carb, so it has to be the new "speed" carb that is causing the problem. Any ideas? Gota get it figured out I gained 9mph!

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
It boggs all the time, unless I give it throttle REALLY slow. It takes forever to get up to top speed, but once i do it's much faster. Once I get up to full throttle it's still a little boggy, it actualy runs better a little less than WOT at top speed.

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
Ok, first off let me say thanks for all the help! Sorry it's been a few days since I've posted, but I got it fixed! I took It off the old bike and put it on the new one lol. I figured if I'm going to put the time and trouble in to it, I might as well do it to the new bike. So, I took the back tire off the old bike and put it on the new bike (still waiting on the hub adapter from manic), and switched over the intake, carb, and air filter. The problem was an air leak. So, I put a good quality bolt on it and torqued it down. Problem fixed! It was one of the only bolts I didn't replace. To anyone reading this I highly recommend replacing ALL bolts and studs on these kits, it'll cost a few bucks, but is definitely worth it. I'm breaking in the new bike and it's running great! Thanks again for all the help!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i have the "speed" carb on one of my bikes, and it's almost exactly like the NT you guys are talking about. i haven't measured it to see if it's bigger, but it doesn't look like it. i hate the pink airbox it comes with.

in my opinion, i think the NT is the better carb. i have three of those, and they all seem to perform better than the speed.

never tried a CNS, and probably never will. seems to me like maybe 1 person out of 10 is happy with them.

i'm sure it all comes down to tuning, and i'm sure i could dial that in since i used to re-build and modify carbs in one of my past careers, but knowing what i know, i'd skip the CNS and get a MIkuni or a Dellorto.

oh wait, i have a Mikuni and a Dellorto. I just need to make some manifolds and build some bikes to put them on...;)