Hoping to Ride from Coast to Coast! Summer 2010

GoldenMotor.com

fallstherain

Mar 25, 2010
NY & CT
Hi, I'm new to the forum and the motorized bike community, but I have a crazy idea. I'm planning to ride from Connecticut to southern California with a friend this summer. I plan to start close to the 10th of May, spend a few days in California, and then head back. I understand that this is ambitious, and probably won't be very comfortable, so the first thing I want to know is if this is possible (preferably only using one motor each).

Neither of us have our bikes or motors yet, or much knowledge of our options. I have been researching and it looks like I am going to want some form of a cruiser bike, for comfortability. I also playing with the idea of building home made back rests for the seats to help. Aside from the seat, I still need some recommendations on what type of engine and bike would be able to make this trek.

Also, one last question: Do you you think it is possible to get sponsored for something like this? If so, who should I talk to to make it happen?

Thank you so much for any way you can help!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Falls, welcome. This actually comes up from time to time and is a very cool idea. (I wanna do RT1 from the Canadian border to Key West) Google maps says it will take 11 or 12 days by regular bicycle. Google Maps Sponsor thing, dunno. Maybe contact charities? Be cool and "win/win"

Might be best to ride a MB for a while though. Not in any way trying to dissuade you. Just they are a lot different then MCs and helps to be used to how cars and trucks react to you. Very often they assume your on a regular bike and don't realize your going 30+ MPH. A real helmet helps this but not enough some times.

We are having a get together just south of Hartford May 2nd. Will be posting in the events section soon. But stop on by! Some great builders coming.