saddle bags for occ chopper

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I refuse to ruin the looks of my OCC by putting a basket on it. However I would like to use it for the trips to the store(mostly the hardware store for small items). I am thinking of making a pair of fiberglass saddle bags. I am having a hard time thinking of the best shape, location and size. Perhaps larger than 14L x 10H x 3-1/2 or 4W would be too big? Any other ideas out there? If you know of anything premade of glass or leather(not to big) pre made, leather or glass please let me know before I start this project.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Re: OCC saddle bags

That's a great looking chopper, so don't granny it up with a wire basket.
Some guys buy ammo cans at a surplus store and mount them like saddle bags. They come in many sizes, open from the top, they are water proof, and you can paint them to match your bike. Good luck.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA

Wheelbender Ammo cans are about the correct size, hmm perhaps not the look for a chopper:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA

Snake: Yea leather is great. I cannot purchase the correct size. Also I don't think that I want to cover the fender.
Google "Himalaya Leather" they have some great looking leather saddle bags and jackets dirt cheap. The bags would fit a cruiser but not a occ(bummer)

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA

I have the same problem, I am trying to find some type of handlebar bag, or saddle bag for carrying stuff. I don't want to have to wear a back pack if possible.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

Check out ebay. I was really surprised at how cheap leather saddlebags are! Could get a set of equine saddlebags and put 'em on my cruiser cheaper then an under the seat bike bag would be.

Found a few that measured 12x12x6 that should fit an OCC rather nicely.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

Another idea (don't kill me for suggesting this) but check out purses at your local discount store or the clearance rack at a store like Khols. My wife is always coming home with a new leather purse from the clearance rack when she goes there, 99% of the time they're 100% leather and under $10. lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Another idea (don't kill me for suggesting this) but check out purses at your local discount store or the clearance rack at a store like Khols. My wife is always coming home with a new leather purse from the clearance rack when she goes there, 99% of the time they're 100% leather and under $10. lol
Yeppers Kevlarr, I always look at the purses at Goodwill and thrift stores. Can get lucky some times. With a lil moding you can make some cool bags. (Of course Carol then points out if it matches my outfit or not, snork) They also have compartments which really does come in handy.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon

LoL Kev my main man....I just picked up a few purses, they are perfect, old pure leather and cool brass clasp's as well. My Wifey is a seamstress of sorts so I am having her mod them for me. But when there done you wont be able to tell.......Just though I could help Solidify your suggestion as Valid....It's more than Valid, Its a steal!!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

I just carry everything in a backpack, just put it on and go.
Does work great BK. I call mine a "12Pack", snork

LoL Kev my main man....I just picked up a few purses, they are perfect, old pure leather and cool brass clasp's as well. My Wifey is a seamstress of sorts so I am having her mod them for me. But when there done you wont be able to tell.......Just though I could help Solidify your suggestion as Valid....It's more than Valid, Its a steal!!!
Kool TSnake! Please post pics when they are done. Just a thought, if you could buy a gross of china/cheap bags and mod them, I bet there would be a good market for them. I know I would be interested.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon

Alrighty, I'll se what I can do...One thing though Pleather is actually better for most of us because Leather gets old crackes and is weather much easier, unless you take good care of it and keep it greased out of sun and water. But I will Keep you all posted as to my progress, Plus it would give my wife something to do...lol When she's bored she annoys me...lol. cause I can never finish my work! lol

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA

Some good and really cool ideas. I setteled for bags smaller than I really wanted but they were cheap and do the job. I carry two locks, ty-raps, tools, spare sunglasses, chain breaker & links, 10 mm wrench, metric allen wrenches, spare batteries, tape and a pint of premixed fuel. No room for grocries! LOL

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Looks cool! Really does Russell. Can always do the backpack thing for beer, err, I mean groceries

Chopperdude4

Dec 26, 2009
NC
does anybody know where to get some rear saddle bags for the occ chopper? I don't want them very big since the chopper isn't too big, I'm worried it would look like a little too much.

Thanks..shft.