Fun on Rockhopper

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
i have whatever you need just pay the shipping and i'll hook you up
Thank you for the offer taco, much appreciated.

I am already over 11,000 miles on this motor and getting more and more curious on just how much longer it will last. Many times I have said thats it! It's gonna let go but it never does.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Here is a short video of my friend Alex on the Rockhopper. Perfect example of four-stroking or crapping out. At 3-4 seconds you can here the motor crap out.

RockHopper Video :: Fourstroking on Rockhopper video by FR31MB - Photobucket
What causes that? I had a moped that would do that at high speed(30) downhill, then it would smooth out and take off like a rocket(45-50), but the hill needed to be steep enough to get over it. I always thought it was an intake/carb issue, like needed a bigger carb or smoother intake.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
What causes that? I had a moped that would do that at high speed(30) downhill, then it would smooth out and take off like a rocket(45-50), but the hill needed to be steep enough to get over it. I always thought it was an intake/carb issue, like needed a bigger carb or smoother intake.
It's usually incorrect ignition timing or too lean or rich fuel mixture. But some of these Chinese engines no matter how you run your air/fuel mixture they still crap out.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Wow fair O.O

Each one of those looks like a proper poster - the color ranges border on art man (^)

...and I remember Arizonian Thunder Storms - they earned capitalization and that's a fact...

|.o

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
saweeeeettttt that was some serious 4 stroking if it were gone theres an axtra 5 to 10 mph to be gained

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks guys glad you enjoyed the photos.

Yes Taco, that some serious crapping out, thats why I posted it hopping it would help someone. And yes, once we got the motor dialed in that thing was serious fast. I'd post it's top speed but no one will believe me anyways so....

All I will say is it would have finished 1st or 2nd in April DR if nobody was too scared to race it. My buddy crashed in heat race hurt his hand, wrist, knee and ankle so nobody raced it.

This motor is now retired from racing...its timed out so I am just gonna enjoy it cruising around.

Walt1976

Jun 29, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
It is good to hear that your engine has lasted so long. Mine is a year old and I hope that I can keep it running that long. Thanks for all of the updates - This was a cool thread

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My China girl is dead :(

RIP
2004-2010
and around some 14,000 miles

I sold my other motor off the cranny so I could just get by........
That leaves only the Morini left, and the TPD has got me so paranoid I am afraid to ride it.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

*doffs hat*

14,000 miles!!1! If I may be so morbid as to ask - what failed so catastrophically as to warrant the tire pyre?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
She seized up while I was getting her ready for my friend to race next Saturday. Looks like the case even cracked on her. But I am too sad to even tear it down to look closer.

I did hit a all new MPH right before it happened. I should have known thats always a warning sign before they let go. I just thought "Wow! I must have hit on something cause she's flying!" 2mph short of 50.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i got a 66 cc only needs a new sleeve the only problem that i had was that the clutch bearings were going out but you could still used it if u want it let me know

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A damn shame that - but on the other hand she gave ya years of service, that's an incredible amount of mileage for any tiny two stroke - heck, I'd put her up ona shelf as an inspiration to all 'smokers - she's an HT Hero!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
i got a 66 cc only needs a new sleeve the only problem that i had was that the clutch bearings were going out but you could still used it if u want it let me know
Thats very kind of you City of Angles, I appreciate the offer. But you keep your motor so you have parts for yourself if you ever need them.

Omar will just have to sit this one out.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was able to score a loaner 50cc for the Rockhopper. So it looks like my buddy and the hopper will make it to UnDeath race. It's stock so I do not expect too much but at least he can cruise around and have some fun with us.

I might change the 36t to a 38 or 40t so he can get a better pull out of the corners. That is if the Blue Fox will return my sprockets.

Attachments

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Dave, what sprocket where you using when you nearly hit 50. Thats nuts man. I never would of thot you can get a regular ht to rev that high, I guess if you had a nos energy drink can taped to your frame it could be possible. :) howd you do it

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
Dave with all the HT's running around Tucson,have you ever thought about posting on craigslist offering your expertise to help with the hard times? I hate to read about friends struggling. I wish the best for you and good luck at the not so dead race.

Adam