My New build (STINGRAY)

GoldenMotor.com

DVBikes

Oct 27, 2009
Tampa,Florida
i wish i 400 for the spoiler but i dont. So i found a Normal chrome and red flamed stingray chopper.
is there anything special i need to know coming into this build.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Is the Stingray going to be your first build? The reason I ask is I have built several of them and you are going to run into several problems that you wouldn't have with an ordinary frame.
You will need a special offset motor mount, special chain tensioner, different exhaust. You will also have to try to work around the rear brake and add a front brake that the bike won't be set up for.
It is all possible, it's just a matter of how much shop equiptment you have access to.

John

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
no its not it will be my 2nd and like waht do you mean like how far with shop equipne
t
You will just have to build your parts, 7/8" offset motor mount plate, exhaust, and chain tensioner or you can buy them on e-bay. It will be a bit pricey unless you build your own.

John

Attachments

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Jim he can order the mount and exhaust from Barry on ebay. Maybe ,you can build it for him.Dvbikes look in ebay under occ exhaust pipe and a guy named barry sales the mount and mufflers.

DVBikes

Oct 27, 2009
Tampa,Florida
yeah, i was looking at his stuff thats for sure where im going for exaust. but do they work alright , by having different dimention length in pipe for back pressure. Andi got my bike to day ill post pics after i paint it straight for 40 dollars

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Have A Few Occ Shoppers And 2 Jj Choppers. Plan On Cutting The Bottom Bracket (small Dia. 1 3/8" Threads) Out Of Some Parts Bikes. Get Threads Trimmed Out With A Lathe For The $3.95 5/8" X 1 3/8" Flanged Brgs. And The Staton 3 Prong Sprocket And 3 Groove Adapter For The Free Wheel Sprocket. Take The Free Wheel Sprocket Off The Rear Wheel And Screw On A Common Cassete 5 Or 7 Speed. Bolt Of A Rear Derailleur Off Parts Bike. Weld The Bottom Bracket Behind Seat Post. For The Jackshaft Mount. Now You Should Not Need Offset Motor Mount And You Will Have A Shifter Bike. A Shifter Cures A Lot Of Problems. Am Riding My Dual Suspension Titan Shifter Bike Daily, The Gears Are So Nice. With The Staton Jackshaft Set Up, You Do Not Change Your Front Cranks/pedals, The Free Wheel Is In The Jack Shaft. You Would Run Around A 48 Tooth Sprocket On The Left Side Of The Jackshaft To The Motor. You Need A Solid Sprocket Mount On The Left To Start The Motor. You Can Start The Motor On The Stand With The Back Wheel Off The Ground. Be Nice For Tuning And Adjusting The Shifter. Do Any Of You Builders Out There Know If This Has Problems. The Jackshaft Should Be At The Proper Height. This May Seem Like More Effort, I Think It Would Be Easier. Just My 2 Cents!! Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

DVBikes

Oct 27, 2009
Tampa,Florida
Well i just spent 2 hours with motor oil to clean up all the fine remnince of rust at it shines now.

Neat times: Currently im jobless and really dont have the funds to pay for a jack shaft kit. I know its a great deal but this bikes total cash is already starting to hit 300$. But if i could i would and might later when i get some cash.

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dv, I Hear You On The Money, A Person Can`t Buy A Job These Days!! Shut my tree service buisness of 30 yrs down months ago. Empty Store Buildings All Over The Place, And I Was Alway Told Florida Was Recession Proof!! It Seems Worse Here Than Lots Of Other Place`s, Thats What I Hear Anyway. I Bought All My Choppers For $50 Each, And Less On Craigs List. That was almost 2 yrs ago. And They Are Nice. I Finally Had To Pass On A Few, Even For 35 Bucks. The Good Deals Keep A Person Broke. Had Planned On selling Motor Bikes, But I Don`t Think many Are Buying. Any Way, Good Luck With Your Build. I Have A Schwinn Occ Chopper Build "picture" On My Computer Screen. They Look Natural. Good Luck With You Build. Ron .cvlt1

DVBikes

Oct 27, 2009
Tampa,Florida
#Side note: florida is horrible, im 19 and cant afford school, have 48 apps for jobs. I lost my job in the middle of last year and i cant register for uneployment cause i live with my parents. 9.50 a hour to 0.00.

ok so ive decided that im going to not paint my bike becaue the chrome looks so nice.
waht did you guys do for a fron headlight for it i saw that there is 2 mountain screws on the bottom tri-spacer. 2 screws right next to each other

Last edited:

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Front brakes are a definite plus! Many models of this bike were made and at least one model had front forks with the front brake. I bought a set on Ebay and their is a set on Ebay now. They replaced my existing forks and I ran both brake cables to a dual pull lever. This style bike motorized is worth all the effort! best to your project!

Attachments

DVBikes

Oct 27, 2009
Tampa,Florida
So, do you think one of these honda gxh50 with the new 4g belt drives will fit inside of my stingray frame? Im not talking about the motor mount i mean like size in volume of the motor. And anyone try one of these out yet?

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
MY STINGRAY CAME OUT OF THE BOX BRAND NEW AT CHRISTMAS i found it in an abandoned shed
unopened. it had front breaks and 2 diferent seats? can someone enlighten me on these? as i said it was factory unopened it had all the origional tape and stuff on it

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
#Side note: florida is horrible, im 19 and cant afford school, have 48 apps for jobs. I lost my job in the middle of last year and i cant register for uneployment cause i live with my parents. 9.50 a hour to 0.00.

ok so ive decided that im going to not paint my bike becaue the chrome looks so nice.
waht did you guys do for a fron headlight for it i saw that there is 2 mountain screws on the bottom tri-spacer. 2 screws right next to each other

I was also layed off of work and im getting unemployment.
I live with my mother and so even if you live with your parents,if you worked long enough you can receive unemployment.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Dv, I Hear You On The Money, A Person Can`t Buy A Job These Days!! Shut my tree service buisness of 30 yrs down months ago. Empty Store Buildings All Over The Place, And I Was Alway Told Florida Was Recession Proof!! It Seems Worse Here Than Lots Of Other Place`s, Thats What I Hear Anyway. I Bought All My Choppers For $50 Each, And Less On Craigs List. That was almost 2 yrs ago. And They Are Nice. I Finally Had To Pass On A Few, Even For 35 Bucks. The Good Deals Keep A Person Broke. Had Planned On selling Motor Bikes, But I Don`t Think many Are Buying. Any Way, Good Luck With Your Build. I Have A Schwinn Occ Chopper Build "picture" On My Computer Screen. They Look Natural. Good Luck With You Build. Ron .cvlt1
I feel you Neat Times. Nobody gives full time jobs here in Pensacola, so you end up having to get two or three jobs just to make ends meet. I had a person tell me yesterday they wanted me to bar tend at $5.35/hr plus tips. That's server wages... not bartender wages. Currently cranking out art work at $8/hr, wahoo!!! 6 years of college, two degrees and I make 50 cents more than minimum wage. Thanks Pensacola employers for giving!!!

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
OCC Stingrays are an OBSESSION (at least for me)

Let me tell you my tale of wo! (wife none to happy, but still loves me), it is motored related...

Found an OCC Chopper (blue) in pretty decent shape at a local thrift store for 35 bux. I was thinking of motoring a bike for a long time.

Found an already motored OCC Chopper (black) on Craigslist in Raleigh NC. Bought it for $350.00 and it works pretty cool, but not to my liking. Vibrates like ****, the homebuilt exhaust leaks and looks terrible, but, the custom motor mount is great.

Bought an immaculate OCC in Virginia beach (Black) for 75.00, got a rusty black occ in va beach for 20 bux with good wheels, tires ok, and not much else.

Got a Red/Chrome OCC in Roanoke VA, for 50 bux and it is sitting at my brothers house.

Just got an Immaculate Blue OCC from Craigslist in Yorktown VA for 80. I know where two rusing OCCs are sitting at a public housing property that I am going to try to offer the residents money for this week for parts.

I bought the front forks on Crapbay for 36 plus shipping (52 total I think) that have the fender and brake mounts, in pretty decent shape. Got a dual brake lever with built in thumb throttle on ebay. Just won the cool OCC seat on Ebay with the blue cross emblem on it for 22 with 11 to ship.

Bought a new custom motor mount from Barry on Ebay. still need to look for mirrors and some kind of light setup.

Getting ready to figure out which one I am going to install a motor on first. I am thinking, since I already got a black motored occ, I want to put it on the pretty blue one. going to get a black, slant head kit, the brake/thumb throttle I have, the front forks with brakes. I am probably going to get a chrome gas tank. I am probably going to buy the Barry exhaust, then mod it with a tuned pipe, then paint all that black. I am going to order the maniac mechanic sprocket mount with a 50 tooth sprocket so my top speed is only about 23-28 mph, but have ok torque for starting out.

In the future, I will install a jackshaft setup on it, or maybe build up another one, and give the pretty blue one to the wife, dunno.

I have been talking via email with a board member who has given me good ideas and sent pictures of his homemade jack shaft setup that mounts the jackshaft bearings to the motor mount, the freewheel to the motor mount, and it multi-speed.

So, to make a long story short, OCC Choppers are an obsession, and motoring them is too.. it is a very expensive proposition. I am still buying parts and trying to find spare parts, because I know they will become even more scarce. I have 5 complete full size, working OCC's at this point. I want at least 2-3 set of tires and tubes.

Oh, I bought my 4 year old son the little version of the OCC chopper on CL for 35 bux. I would not mind finding a full size spoiler, or a West Coast Chopper.

Good thing I am an independent HUD inspector. I stay busy (and gone during the week). I truly feel for guys that are out of work right now. I was lucky enough to get trained and started in my business 4 years ago, and when I am busy, I "knock them dead"

I did not mean to hi-jack the thread, but just wanted to explain that others are working on the OCC project such as you, and maybe we can all share information on what works and doesn't.