a cool cop story

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i was riding home yesterday, and a street by my house has a bike lane, a 25mph speed limit, and a 4-way stop every 2 or three blocks, for 3 miles or so. normally, i hate this street, because now that i have a motor, i always stop. then i gotta get going again.

anyway, i stop at the intersection, but still balancing on the pedals, then go across, and there's a motorcycle cop hiding out, and he sees me and pulls out.

i'm thinking, "great, i'm busted." and going through all the things in my head, like "yeah, it's a 49cc(it's not), it only goes 29mph (more like 39), i tried getting a license at the DMV (no i didn't)..."

you know, all those excuses you figure might work to get you out of a ticket.

he catches me at the next stop, and gives me the thumbs up.

we rode the next 2 miles pretty much side by side, and neither of us put our foot down at the stops.

before my left turn onto my street, i waved at him, raced ahead, hand signalled, turned, and took off.

he just waved back.

i can't believe how much LESS i get hassled on my bike, than when i'm in a car...

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
i was riding home yesterday, and a street by my house has a bike lane, a 25mph speed limit, and a 4-way stop every 2 or three blocks, for 3 miles or so. normally, i hate this street, because now that i have a motor, i always stop. then i gotta get going again.

anyway, i stop at the intersection, but still balancing on the pedals, then go across, and there's a motorcycle cop hiding out, and he sees me and pulls out.

i'm thinking, "great, i'm busted." and going through all the things in my head, like "yeah, it's a 49cc(it's not), it only goes 29mph (more like 39), i tried getting a license at the DMV (no i didn't)..."

we rode the next 2 miles pretty much side by side, and neither of us put our foot down at the stops.

before my left turn onto my street, i waved at him, raced ahead, hand signalled, turned, and took off.

he just waved back.

i can't believe how much LESS i get hassled on my bike, than when i'm in a car...
Sounds sweeeet man!
I dodnt know what the cops here will be like when i am finished!!!

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

he just waved back.

LOL....gotta love it man !.....this happens to me all the time....cops pull me just to have a look at the bike and ask how to build one.....recently at our annual homecoming parade ( GO GATORS ! )....I had a whole buncha cops who were working the parade gather around me and asking questions about it ....they loved it !......and you're right Baird....I get a lot less hassles on my bike than I do in my car !.......

Laters,
Salty.shft.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
LOL....gotta love it man !.....this happens to me all the time....cops pull me just to have a look at the bike and ask how to build one.....recently at our annual homecoming parade ( GO GATORS ! )....I had a whole buncha cops who were working the parade gather around me and asking questions about it ....they loved it !......and you're right Baird....I get a lot less hassles on my bike than I do in my car !.......

Laters,
Salty.shft.
ach. Gators. You want the real deal?
Texas!!

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Cool story, so far I havnt even had a cop give me a second look that Ive noticed. Alot of regular folks do though.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I too have ridden around and next to the Police in my area and never get a second look. But what scares me is there are a few others in my town with MB's and I see them doing some stupid things like riding on the sidewalks and it just annoys me that one bad apple can spoil the bunch. Ride intelligently out there and don't mess it up for the rest of us.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
Just curious.... were you wearing a helmet?
and what kind if you were

PS: CA law says nothing about cc or the size of the motor,
just that it has to be 2 HP or less

he just waved back.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
actually, it happens all the time in Los Angeles. Cops don't give a second look and if they do its to check out the bike. also I have sold two bikes to L.A. cops and one Sheriff in L.A.
I did get pulled over once and he asked me if i had an M2 endorsement on my licsense, I told him yes but he didnt ask to see it and drove off.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
Also , the only thing thats gonna ruin it for all of us is some of the younger guy's not caring about the speed and obeying traffic laws. If you want to draw attention to this hobby(negative attention) someone is going to notice and end this for all of us.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Just curious.... were you wearing a helmet?
and what kind if you were

PS: CA law says nothing about cc or the size of the motor,
just that it has to be 2 HP or less

yup. pro-tec skateboard helmet. i asked some cops at a bar once, and they told me a helmet was necessary. dunno exactly if that's true, but i wear one anyway. i'm usually riding full-throttle, so i think a helmet's a good idea.

and, somewhere, the law says 49cc or under. i pulled the riveted tag off my motor, so if i ever do get hassled, i'll tell them it's a 49. (it's actually the 66cc/80)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yeah, I think the day's comming soon when we're gonna have to give in & start wearing helmets... (I've been riding these for 3 years without one.)
So far, two people I know have gotten helmet tickets here in LA.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cops out my way, are way cool! MBs here are legal but doubt it is common knowledge. They just smile, wave or look away. I love my lil town. If I happen to talk to a peace officer, I always offer them a ride. They always say no. Kinda a bummer.