fancy nonstock carburators

GoldenMotor.com

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
what dimensions? you will need some tiny drill bits ( .020-.040") and some solder. it's really not that big of a deal
Deja Vu - this is the same as a thread elsewhere (another site)
Dellorto sell a wide range of main jets to suit their carbs, as do many other suppliers - no need to solder and drill.
Buy a couple in the direction you want to go. ie if too rich, buy the next two sizes down, etc, then you can swap and compare and buy another if necessary. They're only about $5 each. Drilling is not very precise and is hard to do properly. Standard drill size increments are very small and very precise. For HT engines with a #79 main jet, #76 makes a big difference and #73 makes an even bigger difference. That's 0.79mm, 0.76mm and 0.73 mm. Can you guys drill to within 0.03mm accurately and smoothly? Easier and better to buy jets. We're in the 21st century now.
...Steve

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
Deja Vu - this is the same as a thread elsewhere (another site)
Dellorto sell a wide range of main jets to suit their carbs, as do many other suppliers - no need to solder and drill.
Buy a couple in the direction you want to go. ie if too rich, buy the next two sizes down, etc, then you can swap and compare and buy another if necessary. They're only about $5 each. Drilling is not very precise and is hard to do properly. Standard drill size increments are very small and very precise. For HT engines with a #79 main jet, #76 makes a big difference and #73 makes an even bigger difference. That's 0.79mm, 0.76mm and 0.73 mm. Can you guys drill to within 0.03mm accurately and smoothly? Easier and better to buy jets. We're in the 21st century now.
...Steve
in other words, pin vise and selection of appropriate bits...... put down the powertools this trick is all in the fingertips....

drilling jets is peanuts, just do it right and take your time. the pinvise was designed for making jewlery so think like that jet is made of gold and fits on your wifes finger..... dont think "its just my retard bicycle's inner guts)

-dave

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
in other words, pin vise and selection of appropriate bits...... put down the powertools this trick is all in the fingertips....
drilling jets is peanuts, just do it right and take your time. the pinvise was designed for making jewlery so think like that jet is made of gold and fits on your wifes finger..... dont think "its just my retard bicycle's inner guts)-dave
Yep. If you want to spend countless extra time messing around soldering and drilling, just to save a few bucks. We're not jewellry makers. Also, the cost of a good set of jet drills is higher than the cost of a couple of jets.
The ideal method of tuning your mixture is to go until you're 1 step past the required mixture, then back off one size. With the soldering and drilling method, this is a PITA, although it can be done. With a couple of pre-selected jet sizes, it's easy. Then, in the future with other mods or weather or altitude changes, it's simple to re-tune. There's a reason that main jets are made in a variety of sizes.
Again, we're in the 21st century now.
... Steve

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
Yeah, but what fun is just throwing a fiver for the simple solution?
Hello Joe.
This one's easy - riding is more fun than tuning. Faster tuning = more riding time.
Still, tinkering is fun.
(I had a ball today, the little engine ran better than ever. I was pleased to see that more than one car slowed to my pace next to me for a few seconds, undoubtedly to clock my speed. On our local roads, I was almost as fast as the cars. (50kph limit on the residential streets))
... Steve

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
word. this sounds to me like a battle between tentioner/notentioner....

ill agree to jump the fence and say having alot of jets i great..... if you run a kehin or mikuni carb and every bike dealership within a hundred miles has every jet you can think of. but it wont stop me from buying a pin vise after christmas ;)

misterww225

Aug 4, 2009
USA
We like the Walbro 19mm bore carbs mostly because you can adjust the low/high mixture easily with adjustment screws and provide plenty of airflow for more top-end power. We have a tube running from the carb to the crankcase for the fuel pump. I think these were meant for chainsaws.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
yessir, most diaphram carbs are operated by pulse vaccum ;) for the best result you should tap your vaccum ole directly below the intake so the rushing fresh charge helps draw the diaphram :)