coaster brakes help?

GoldenMotor.com

13b

Apr 14, 2009
knoxville, tn
i just bought another bike (after wrecking the first one) to put a motor on. it's a really old fixed gear with coaster brakes. what do i need to make the coaster brakes work with the rear sprocket?

i also have a few more questions:

what do i need to do in order to use a stronger chain?

can rear sprockets be purchased to affect the gearing? what size would be suitable for a 26" cruiser?

are those sprockets compatible with a stronger chain?

really more than anything i just need a laundry list of things i need to make this work.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you take the coaster brake off,mount the sprocket,then put coaster brake on,thats it.
you can use a stronger chain right now with the stock sprockets.
you can buy diffrent size rear sprockets,it will effect you top speed and acceleration and torque. i use the 44t sprocket and it works good. and you can use a stronger chain on the stock sprocket.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
actually, you need to grind down the dust cover for the bearing on the coaster arm side. trim it so its just a hair inside the hub instead of having the crown around the outside of hub.

if you just take the arm off and install the sprocket the wheel will not spin.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
You'll probably have to mod the dust cap so check out this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f30/coaster-brake-dust-cap-mod-1841.html

You'll also have to bend the brake arm a bit. There are instructions for that on the Spooky Tooth site.

I use #41 Roller chain which is plenty strong, although #415 chain will also work. The 44 tooth sprocket works fine for me on a 26" cruiser. The lower the tooth count the lower the torque and the higher the top end speed.

Good Luck!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
o yeah i forgot to mention i took off my dust cap to mount my sprocket,but you will probally want to just modify your dust cap and put it back on.