Ported the exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
OK, another little tweak accomplished.

I pulled off the exhaust, and the gasket, with a little finger-nail nudge came right off. How nice to have carbon buildup showing me exactly where to cut!

So with a round sanding block dremel tool, I modified the gasket by getting rid of the carbon. (First I used a Red Sharpie to outline it, just in case it came off in a clean chunk - which is did, so I was smart!)

After the gasket was modified to match the opening of the motor, I put it on the exhaust manifold, and again, using a red sharpie, colored in where metal was showing.

Then I stuffed paper towel into the exhaust to prevent metal flakes from going down the pipe.

Then I changed bits to the metal bit and started shaving away. I first cut outwards and left a 45 degree angle out to the edges of my red ink. Then I made sure everything was smooth and rounded and made a good transition to the pipe.

I used my shop vac to suck up all the metal shavings, and used needle-nose pliers to pull out the paper towel with the vacuum on it. Then I just tapped the manifold and kept vacumming directly to make sure it's as clean as possible.

I coated the gasket both sides with Red RTV, and then a generous amount of blue loctite on the studs (stock, and they seem just fine for now - but on the short list for replacement), and reassembled.

Of course it's freakin' raining with thunder and lightning, so I won't be able to test today....I guess it gives the RTV longer to set up.

So tomorrow I'll give you the results...but I'm sure it will only help! I am just going to get the Dax intake when it's available for the other side, but I do have a rubber o-ring for now to insure a good seal. (I hope).

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
OK, quick follow up...my bike has never been better!

I ported the exhaust - that did make a noticable difference...the intake, not so much - I'm already pretty rich, so it just is letting even more fuel in..

The BIGGIE was last night - I put on a replacement Head Gasket from Dax. I also reset the gap in the plug to .022 (NGK plug). I replaced the gasket because I noticed an oil stain on the head.

Not sure which did it, but it's running GREAT! Cruised to work today doing 20 on sidewalk sections, and 30 on the straight roads. It wanted to go even faster, but I backed off.

Happy Times! :)

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I know it's very close but the welding is on the outside and he filed on the inside so I would say NO to your question.