fattest tire size for 26 in rims

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
hey guys what is the fattest and all around biggest tire i can fit on a standard 26 in rim ?

i know there are fat tire bikes and i know the maxis hook worms are pretty fat also, i need the fattest beefiest tires i can get !

there will not be a problem with chain clearance as they are going to be the rear tires for a trike .

they need to have a good beefy tread for mud snow and sand,

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
something like this ?? just need to know what the biggest reasonable size is and where to get them (a reputable seller) also any input on tread pattern would be helpfull ! they are going to be winter tires for a trike .

Attachments

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
i've seen up to 4.6 or 4.7 inch wide tires on fat bikes. no clue where to get them. look online. i don't know if fat bike tires will fit on normal rims though. 3" wide Kenda Flames would probably fit. they are flat flat.

a fat bike with a jackshaft/"shift kit" would be awesome imo

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I've seen 26x3" but they will not fit a standard frame. 26x2.5 (like the Maxxis Hookworm) is the biggest tire to fit most frames.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can get a 26x3 from Kenda, Origin8, Sunlite and Surly. Just do a google search on 26x3 bicycle tire for sale. I don't know if they require a different rim width than a 26x2 tire. I like the Kenda Flame tread but there are a few different ones out there.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Okay I'll check....I have kenda flames on my ambassador and their super thin sidewalls are downright scary

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I bought the same tire for front and rear from REI about 2 years ago. I just really put them to the test recently. I'll have to check the brand which I think is Kenda and it is a 26inch size with maybe a 2.1 inch width. The tire mold vent hairs have not worn off the sides yet, but they slightly rub on the frame as I got the biggest width in a knobby that would fit. Those hairs don't add any drag, I mean really;) I paid about $20 per tire and am not sure if that brand or comparable are still about that price now. At the time the next step up in a tire price was about $30 or more per tire and I did not think I needed those. I was right.

I should note that if on ice or frosty ground, maybe the extra cost for studded tires might be right on. Northern California can get ice puddles, but they usually break through as you ride from what I've been told.

I took along my tripod and bungeed it to the bottom of my handle bars, then I used the tripod at time to set up to take video of me riding. I need to edit them and get them posted.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=527975#post527975

Attachments

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i am not limmited by the frame. they are trike rear tires.. i have 26 x 2.0 hookworm clone tires on the back now.so the real hook worms are 3in wide ?

i wonder what the max tire width is that you can fit on a standard rim

i like the look of the hookworms and the grip on pavment they have ~! i just think a big ol knoby will be better and since i am not limmited by frame or breaks or anything why not go as big as my rims can take ?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
there is a wide selection of 3.45" tires available with a bunch of profiles

just google images of 26 x 3.45 bicycle tires...
you might try 3 as well i saw several styles as well

this site carries a bunch of weird stuff (sizes etc) i havent ordered from them , but have used them to find specific items to search for...

http://classic-cycle.de/