expansion chamber question

GoldenMotor.com

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
okay everyone i understand this expansion chamber http://speeddemon.ca/expansion-chamber-muffler-chrome.html has been talk about before but i after looking over the threads about it i didnt really see anyone give it a good review or talk about there power gains. was it worth it over the stock pipe? did you gain any speeds? where did ur powerband change too? (low end, mid range, top end) also did anybody have any problems with installation? i recently ordered this pipe along with a cns v3 carb, how well do the 2 perform together? i'm looking for more low end and an extra 3mph at the most

MattWvNightRider

Mar 14, 2013
United States
I love my expansion chamber. It's worth it big-time, increase of top end and torck. I also got a boost bottle, high compression racing head, upgraded sparck plug wire and spark plug . Speed carb, Ohh and larger air intake valve. On a shwinn 28 in road bike and 39 tooth sprocket and im reaching up to 45mph. Get one part every time u got money and before u know it . Your bike is pumped out with performance. brnot

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Cool! Sounds like you're having fun and thats what this stuff is all about!
How does the intake valve work?
I assume it's a two stroke since you like the expansion chamber and boost bottle...
Did you mean intake manifold?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
okay everyone i understand this expansion chamber http://speeddemon.ca/expansion-chamber-muffler-chrome.html has been talk about before but i after looking over the threads about it i didnt really see anyone give it a good review or talk about there power gains. was it worth it over the stock pipe? did you gain any speeds? where did ur powerband change too? (low end, mid range, top end) also did anybody have any problems with installation? i recently ordered this pipe along with a cns v3 carb, how well do the 2 perform together? i'm looking for more low end and an extra 3mph at the most
I'd pass on that pipe. Looks like a piece of el crapo. Get the SBP one instead. It's tried and true.

Al2

Apr 4, 2013
Griffin Ga
yep I'd pass on it to and at least get the one from thatsdax foe 39 bucks if you can not get the one from sbp

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
Hi Everyone,

I've been folowing this thread.

I live in Canada so shipping is a BIG problem for me. Why do you say the muffler from speeddemon is bad?

It looks pretty good and sells for a very attractive price.

I also found on that same website this performance package which I plan on getting.

http://speeddemon.ca/performance-kit.html

It includes the performanc exhaust and a speed NT carb. Looks good to me...

MattWvNightRider, I would love to have a bike like yours (45MPH!!!!) could you give me some more details on your bike? And explain a little bit more?

Thanks,
Vinoy

xct2

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hi Everyone,

I've been folowing this thread.

I live in Canada so shipping is a BIG problem for me. Why do you say the muffler from speeddemon is bad?

It looks pretty good and sells for a very attractive price.

I also found on that same website this performance package which I plan on getting.

http://speeddemon.ca/performance-kit.html

It includes the performanc exhaust and a speed NT carb. Looks good to me...

MattWvNightRider, I would love to have a bike like yours (45MPH!!!!) could you give me some more details on your bike? And explain a little bit more?

Thanks,
Vinoy

xct2
Because the chamber is too tiny. It looks like it's sized for a motor that's about 35cc.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
It'll still add performance. Not much, but in the high end, thats the advantage of the SBP pipe, its tunable (rather, adjustable), so you can put the power right where you want it. Want a torquey guy? Make a longer pipe. Have gears? Shorten the pipe to put the peak right near redline.

I've got so much money into my bike now, I'm kinda surprised at myself, the plan was to have a cheap little way around but now I've got an SBP Pipe ($140 shipped), Reeds ($120 shipped), Jag CDI ($110 shipped) high quality SKF bearings (about $6 each), Dax RT Carb ($60 shipped, they DO sell a clone on speeddemon.ca) loads of time, mostly with the dremel. I managed to get it up to 40 mph so far, but I havent used the SBP pipe yet (other than a half mile before the copper piping fell off... whoops) nor the reed valves (winter's takin it's sweet, sweet time this year...) I've got SBP gaskets and engine hardware (including head studs), a Puch 70cc Hi comp head from treatland.tv and a new gear puller tool from motorizedbicycle.ca (I keep stripping mine trying to get the clutch/bevel wheel out, most frustrating thing EVER) all on their way right now.

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi
I went for the arrow torquer II pipe. Love it. Power all around and mounted with no fabrication. Thanks arrow team.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
It's my understanding that a two stroke performance pipe should expand, or trumpet in diameter as near as possible to the exhaust port on the cylinder head. The SBP pipes do that, as well as the banana pipes on EBay. They will outperform pipes that maintain a constant diameter for several inches after the exhaust port like the stock pipe and the Long Poo.

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
so basically is what you guys are saying is i should expect no increase in performance? i find that hard to believe.. everyone keep telling to get the sbp expansion chamber. well guess what guys i cant afford it. im looking for a cheaper inexpensive exhaust that atleast is better than stock.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
so basically is what you guys are saying is i should expect no increase in performance? i find that hard to believe.. everyone keep telling to get the sbp expansion chamber. well guess what guys i cant afford it. im looking for a cheaper inexpensive exhaust that atleast is better than stock.
...i think what people are telling you grasshopper is that you get what you pay for!

and when you buy cheaper, you get cheap, and cheap neither does the job particularly well nor does it last particularly long so in the end 'cheaper' usually ends up being considerably more expensive then buying quality components the first time.

...you'll end up being a much happier camper if you wait and save your money until you can afford a quality pipe.

just my .02, bozo

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I tried a BGF banana pipe. It was terrible. My modified stock pipe made more power, plus it was very loud.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Listen up 2-stroke enthusiasts, a proper expansion chamber is a tuned pipe for a certain port timing in a 2-stroke engine. There are formulas for making tuned pipes that range from powerful low-end torque to screaming high hp in the high rpm of any given engine. The is no one pipe fits all and does everything for top performance..........2-strokes are reliant on their ports to get maximum power and a proper expansion chamber tuned right will maximize this power to it's full potential.

Most after market expansion chambers should add some performance gains over others or the stock pipe, but not always. Read up on this stuff as there is much to learn when it comes to 2-stroke port timing.