Evil's Dual Brake Lever.....

GoldenMotor.com

evil510

Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Dual brake levers, most either love them or hate them. I have a shift kit installed and opted to go with a dual brake lever. Originally I purchased the version that most others have, but, I did not like the fact that if one cable happened to snap, then the other brake would more or less be rendered useless. I have rarely ever had a cable snap, but, the thought of one snapping when I need it the most and in turn compromising the other just never sat well with me. I realized that I preferred a side by side design. I purchased a brake lever from BoyGoFast. This piece of crap was such a disappointment. You can read about in my BoyGoFast review. While the BoyGoFast lever was of crappy quality, the dual brake lever I initially started out with was actually of good quality, so, not wanting it to go to waste, I decided to use it as my base for this project. I set out to make my own version, which is what I should have done from the start. My version has the failsafe that if one cable snapped the other would still be fully operational. Fully adjustable, cable ends protected, rubber boots and an integrated brake light switch.....

~ evil ~

Full set of photos here.....Project: Dual Brake Lever

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i would love to get one with a break light switch i have a regular one now and im one of the people who likes it and was looking into adding a brake switch and was looking for a good way to do it if you have i good idea on it im interested in hearing/seeing it

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Evil that looks great.

For a dual pull setup-why not a bmx gyro with one bottom cable going to the front and the other going to the back brake? Then you have one cable on the lever and the cable tension is fully adjustable.

evil510

Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Thank you, JonnyR. There are a few ways to go about it. Prior to making this lever, I had a microswitch hooked up to the rear brake. The good thing about it was that wiring was kept to a minimum and didn't have to run all the way up to the handlebars.....

Thank you, azbill.....

Thank you, d_gizzle. While the use of single to double gyro would work, it still presents the same issue I had with the original dual brake handle in the sense that if one cable broke, it would affect performance of the other. In the case of using a gyro, if either the front or rear cable snapped, the other would still work, true... however, if the cable leading to the gyro itself broke, not only would you lose one brake, you would lose both. Simply not a risk I am willing to take on this project.....

~ evil ~

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I can dig that evil.

I usually just make sure the bikes low enough so I can 'stomp' the ground to stop.

Nuttin to it.

evil510

Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Roadkill, the base plate was cut, tapped, etc. from a scrap piece of steel plate. I always save pieces that are cut off from my other projects. You never know when a small leftover piece will come in handy. If it will save you any time and research, the tapped threads are 10mm x 1.0. There are other sizes of adjusters but I wanted to make use of the ones I already had. The 10mm ones are common and you can get them in just about any color to match your bike, if you so chose to. Hope this helps.....

~ evil ~

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Yes E, that is splendid. It just makes sense. I do a lot of wet weather riding so I would perhaps make mine slightly different where 2 handles are next to each other. The first being the rear and the bottom being the front. Great ideas are shared here. Thanks for the reply.