Wheel sets

GoldenMotor.com

Custom Inc

Oct 6, 2012
Perth, Australia
hey guys looking for some wheels to go on my motorized bike, I found some nice ones but there for fixies :( so this wouldnt work, where can i get some nice looking wheel sets from? Im in australia :)

.spr.

Custom Inc

Oct 6, 2012
Perth, Australia
Since im new to the whole bike building stuff, I don't no
What I need, I found a nice set, and they say there for fixies
I was under the impression that the pedals move when the
Back tire moves? And no free wheeling ? Sorry but I don't know much
About bikes yet :/

Thanks

.spr.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a fixie wheel will kill you. it's "fixed," meaning exactly that. it doesn't coast. the pedals move all the time. unless you can pedal 35mph all day, it ain't gonna work.

try husky industrial bicycles for heavy duty wheels. shipping to oz might hurt you though.

ask some bike shops or local places for a heavy duty wheel with 12gauge spokes. that's probably your best bet.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thats a really hard question to answer. Your best bet in Australia is to find mountain bike wheels and use them, preferably a single speed setup if you are lucky enough to find some. Secondhand mountain bike wheels on EBay are cheap and readily available, I am unaware of any decent wheel sets available in OZ at a decent price on

In saying that buying a mountain bike wheel set (disc brake) will open up another decision for you as far as attaching a sprocket and deciding on a rear brake.

Unfortunately we don't have strong vintage rims available here to use, nor do we have Worksman rims available and our cheap store bought bikes have cheap crappy wheels on them..... Not like in the US where 12 gauge spoke wheel sets can be found on cheapo bikes.

Hope this helps, if not try being a little more specific of your needs.

Custom Inc

Oct 6, 2012
Perth, Australia
hey guys,

Thanks for the reply, im looking for a 700c Road bike wheel set, the sort you get on Fixies, however since there 'fixed' wheels i cant use them, is there a way of buying these Fixed wheels and putting on a Free wheel hub or something??? how hard would that be, if anyones done this before please leave a reply

Thankss

.spr.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I've built a few fixed gear bikes.

The way the back hub works to make it fixed is that it has two types of thread pattern. One going opposite of the other in order to mount a cog and then a counter thread lock ring to keep every thing in place.

Now you can still mount a freewheel on those same spot the fixed cog and locking

If you get one of those flip flop hub you can use the freewheel side as your pedals and the fixed as ur motor drive. I've seen people on the forum do it before with the thrusters fixies from walmart