Help with Coaster Brake

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
hi guys.

i have a question about coaster brakes. i had mine replaced about 2-3 months ago and its already crushed again. it makes a chirping sound (as the old one when it broke) and it sounds like the bearings are flying around freely in there. anyways i will get it replaced ext week but honestly i dont even want another coaster brake. i got a new disk brake system for the front today to replace the one i already had and its enough with that.

my question: can i take out parts of the hub for breaking so i can just use the axis in the rear without the brake? what do i need to take out if yes? i remember last time the coaster brake broke i took a look into it and all kind of broken parts came into my direction haha

thank you guys

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I jsut took it apart and back together. I took out the 2 lock pads and saw that one bearing lost a ball which was laying inside. Thats what made the noise. Not sure how long it will last but until next week I will try to drive like that. I believe the biggest pressure on all parts is coming from the braking, not the pure driving. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What kind of coaster brake do you have? Lowrider
That's what I was going to ask. Not all coaster brakes are equal. Open up an old Bendix and take a look at the parts and number of bearings. Now open up one of those Histop brakes and you'll see a world of difference. One was made to last and the other to sell cheap. And sometimes the Chinese hubs haven't even been greased. No, not all coaster brakes are the same junk.
SB