What multi-speed wheel/hub can I install on my cruiser.

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Hi. I am planning to convert my cruiser to multi-speed and install a shift-kit on it. I have looked into this, and it seems that the only question left for me is what rear wheel to get. I have a grip-shifter and a rear derailleur, and the hd shift kit includes a bottom bracket cartridge, so the only other things I would need would be the bottom bracket adapters, which sbp sells, and the right kind of rear wheel to go on my bike. Here is what I am looking for in a rear wheel.

26", chromoly axle, cassette gears, and preferably 12 gauge spokes.

I would feel comfortable spending between $35 and 50. I would actually not prefer to have a quick-release axle due to theft avoidance, but sbp's website says that a shift kit will bend standard steel axles. basically I want to know if a 6 or 7 speed wheel will fit on my cruiser. This may be a silly question, and someone may say that the space between the rear dropouts is basically the same on cruisers and mountain bikes, but I wouldnt know that, having never motorized a mountain bike. So please, be kind. Thank you.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A typical coaster brake hub is about 4.5"

A typical hub for a multi speed cassette is about 5.5" wide.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
several members of this forum answered a thread of mine on the subject of conversion, and stated to me that it was, "very doable". I am confident that it will be.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Why external shift? Why not internal shift? My daily rider is a former single-speed bike converted to 4-stroke shifter using a 3-speed hub.
You don't have to worry about chainline as much wth an IGH. With external gears, your chainline will be all over the place, and derailleurs are sensitive!

Just asking. Anyway, you also need a derailleur hanger if you're set on external shift, something like:
this for QR axles or this for solid axles. Also, my steel axle has held up fine.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a bolt-on derailleur, a shimano tourney. I was thinking 3 speed possibly, but would a 3 speed internal hub pull my 280lb butt up steep hills with a 2 smoker?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
not sure, but thinking a cassette hub might be cheaper. most 3 wheel hubs I see are going for $100 or more. I already have a 24" wheel with a 6 speed cassette.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
Yeah, I hear ya, you already have most the parts to make it happen. Maybe all you need is a couple cable guides for the shift cable.

Regardless of whether an IGH can handle the load, you've already got those external shift parts. It can definitely be done.

Maybe the hardest part besides securing the cables for the derailleur will be spreading the frame.
If your bike originally had a coaster, the rear will most likely need to be spread.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I guess thats possible. Another member said that most cruisers have a dropout width of 4.5 inches, while most multi-speed hubs measure 5.5 inches. My 6 speed cassette doesn't have an axle or bearings right now, but it measures 4 inches in width. so maybe I wont need to spread my frame. I will just have to see when I get there.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
the only thing I am worried about is spoke sizes. The rear wheel is standard spoke gauge, im guessing something like 14 gauge. Whatever comes on most bikes that isnt 12 gauge or thicker. the front rim will be 11 gauge spokes. this concerns me a bit for two reasons. one, even though im using a shift kit, will the rear spokes be able to take the load? and two, aesthetics. will a bike look really weird with 11g front spokes and 14g rear?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
Aesthetically, you're right, it might look odd. Most people may not notice, but you would and that's what really counts, no? :D
If you don't care about aesthetics, then it may not be a problem.

As for strength, that's wholly dependent on how well the wheel was built. I've put over 100K miles on 3- and 4-cross wheels with 14ga spokes, very rarely have I had any failures on the street. My bikes are usually steel with alloy double-wall rims, fully loaded, and I've weighed anywhere between 180 and 230 over the years I've ridden on them. I pedal hard - a healthy man can put down much more torque to the wheels then any bicycle engine we run, shift kit or not.

As for heavy-sitting, high speeds, and potholes, well, that will definitely test a wheel's mettle (heh, bad pun). If a standard 3-cross 14ga wheel doesn't lose any spokes, it can definitely warp and need some truing service. I'd recommend 12ga laced 4-cross. It's what I run, and my wheels have been bulletproof in almost 2 years.

As for your rear currently being 4" without axles and bearings, keep in mind axles with retainers typically add 0.5-1.5" to each side.
A standard multispeed wheel is made for 135MM (5.314 or ~5 5/16") dropout width when assembled.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I found a 12g 26 inch multi-speed wheel for $47 on www.custommotoredbicycles.com. It doesnt come with a cassette though, so I will have to take both wheels to the shop to have the cassette switched over. This also means I will have a 26" rear wheel and 24" front wheel, but thats ok. That was actually the original plan anyway.