Genesis Two Nine Caliper

GoldenMotor.com

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I recently ordered a new Genesis Onyx and found a set of Genesis Two Nine mountain bike 36 spoke wheels for a real good price on Craigs List.

Does anyone know what kind of caliper will fit the disc on the Two Nine front rim ? It's doubtful I'll find an original one, but I figure it's not unique to the bike.

Thanks in advance,

MHF

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
probably check at your local bike shop. they may not know the specific type or brand, but can probably figure out what pads will fit by the size of your rotor. i could be wrong, but any bike mechanic worth his salt can tell a lot just by looking at a bike. i wish i still lived in my hometown. guy ran a shop there and used to be friends with my dad. he had over 20 years experience. but i digress. check with them. dont buy there. ask what brand and size they recommend and search online for a lower price.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The Genesis Onyx 29 and the Genesis Two Nine 29 are ofc two completely different bikes and as the Onyx doesn't come with any front brakes at all, I don't think he's looking for just pads...

Provided you've a front caliper mount solution (like different forks) the calipers are fairly universal, particularly on the lower cost bikes (I've done swap outs myself) and the Avid BB5 is a very good, low cost caliper that's very common so it's easy to find replacement parts for..

It also comes with a new rotor, so the $35 isn't a bad deal at all - but if you're lookin' to save even a couple more bucks ask at your local bike shop if they've any new "take offs" for sale - it's typical for folks that just bought a new bike to upgrade bits, so bike shops often have a bunch of "stock" units around they'd love to be rid of ;)

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
The two major components of a disc brake system are the disc and the caliper. I'm sure a the mounting bracket will have to be fabricated. I had planned from the start to put a suspension fork on this bike so the search will include a disc compatable one.

Thanks for the tips. There's a big bike shop near where I work. I'll check there for take offs.

MHF